Which Betta Barracks Option?

squae

Hi guys,

Was hoping for some experienced betta owners to give me advise on which betta barracks option I am looking at would be best.

1) Looking to use an ADA "Do Aqua" W60x45x45 waterfall tank and divide the top 3 waterfall levels into 6 off betta bays (I work with glass and getting the dividing screen glass wouldnt be that much of a pain). Would use a filter with inbuilt powerhead and a heater in sump, and let the tank circulate via overflow water, meaning if ever the pump packs it in I will not have emptied out tanks.

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/da_waterfall/

2) Use Do Aqua, 15cm cubes, and setup a barracks similar to the 12 bay Aqua One barracks (however with larger tanks). Does anyone have advise as to who is a good betta tank builder? Would be hugely appreciated.

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/da_tank/

http://bunniez.hubpages.com/hub/The-Aqua-One-12-Bay-Betta-Barracks-System

3) Aqua One have an approx. 24 litre, 3 bay tank with LED & rear sump setup, however, the dividing screens are black acrylic. I am not sure if the LED light might make a reflection off the black acrylic, but I think its more likely that the screen would eliminate all vision through and reflection, not ideal.

Any advice would be great, I get the feeling point 2 might be the best solution, however I think I would prefer to find a quality tank builder (I have tried making one myself previously and it didnt work very well!). I am receiving 6 bettas from Thailand in about 3 weeks, so need to make mind up relatively soon.

Thanks again for any input!

Edited by Squae

I'm gonna say not the first one

bettas have a habit of jumping in with neighbours and ending up with no fins and I feel a waterfall setup leaves water levels high enough for this to happen a lot both to the neighbours besides and below ...

besides that your on the right track with the other two

you are more then welcome to come over to see how i do it...

Hi Davo, Thanks heaps for the offer, very generous!

Have given it more thought and am thinking now I might try and instead find an ADA 90x30x20 or a 60x30x18.

Then get rear acrylic and acrylic dviders made up. Just have to find out how narrow the acrylic supplier can make slotting in acrylics to ensure the bettas are safe. I think a bit more research is needed, maybe I am better slotting below a gravel line???

I don't suppose there are any custom betta tank builders in NSW, known for quality work?

You do realise Do!Aqua brand tanks are really expensive don't you? My 90x45x45 cost me $1000 plus freight when I got it. I don't believe the Waterfall style tank is available in Australia and there is really only one company that gets the ADA brand tanks in and they have terrible customer service.

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=184

For a 20x20x20 cube you are already looking at $65 each. So quite a lot of $$$ involved.

Slightly cheaper alternative is Mr Aqua, but honestly, you are probably best finding a tank builder that can build a barracks out of low iron glass (even just the front panel) and bevel the edges. Probably work out cheaper. You guys seem to have better tank builders up in Sydney as I have seen some really nice rimless, braceless tanks custom built in threads on another forum.

You do realise Do!Aqua brand tanks are really expensive don't you? My 90x45x45 cost me $1000 plus freight when I got it. I don't believe the Waterfall style tank is available in Australia and there is really only one company that gets the ADA brand tanks in and they have terrible customer service.

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=184

For a 20x20x20 cube you are already looking at $65 each. So quite a lot of $$$ involved.

Slightly cheaper alternative is Mr Aqua, but honestly, you are probably best finding a tank builder that can build a barracks out of low iron glass (even just the front panel) and bevel the edges. Probably work out cheaper. You guys seem to have better tank builders up in Sydney as I have seen some really nice rimless, braceless tanks custom built in threads on another forum.

Hi Wild Nut,

Thanks for your post.

Yeah i know they are expensive, also I am still trying to sort out the availability of the different options.

I know he has the waterfall, and he thinks he has the 15cm cubes (however I am dubious as they are only a new size), as for the last 90x30x20 (or 90-F) I am pretty sure he will not have, am checking at the moment, also have messaged some international ADA suppliers and am going to check out postage costs.

I appreciate that a tank builder would be cheaper, especially as I should be able to source cheap low e glass. The only reason I am not going for this option at the moment is that the ADA tanks have tiny joints.

I dont suppose anyone has any ideas of quality betta barrack builders?

Also, was wondering would people go with clear dividers or coloured (so the fish can or can't see each other), or a clear with removable black dividers?

Thanks All!!!

Edited by Squae

Have you thought of the 12 gallon long Mr Aqua tank? It's got very similar dimensions to the ADA 90-F (awesome dimensions in my opinion) and mine cost me a little over $100. Silicone is about one step below ADA quality, but it is low iron and honestly when these tanks are filled you don't even notice.

You could then use black perspex to divide up the tank into separate compartments.

Not sure of suppliers in NSW though of Mr Aqua tanks.

Just thought I would offer up some alternatives as I have a mix of Mr Aqua, Yi Ding and Do!Aqua aquariums in my fish room and so am aware of the upsides and downsides of each brand.

If it is to house mae bettas I would go with clear with black removable dividers so you can flare the boys each day

Yeah I thought that would be the best preference!

Have you thought of the 12 gallon long Mr Aqua tank? It's got very similar dimensions to the ADA 90-F (awesome dimensions in my opinion) and mine cost me a little over $100. Silicone is about one step below ADA quality, but it is low iron and honestly when these tanks are filled you don't even notice.

You could then use black perspex to divide up the tank into separate compartments.

Not sure of suppliers in NSW though of Mr Aqua tanks.

Just thought I would offer up some alternatives as I have a mix of Mr Aqua, Yi Ding and Do!Aqua aquariums in my fish room and so am aware of the upsides and downsides of each brand.

Wow very informative.

I have talked to Mr Aqua before and he seemed very good.

The 12 Gallon Mr Aqua tank sounds great, maybe that is the best option, especially if that is for low e glass! I dont suppose he also does the dividing screens ?

As for the dividers, do you like black, or clear and then have removable black dividers (somehow?)

Also what do people think are the best configuration for the rear sump/overflow/acrylic slotting for dividers?.

I am thinking maybe raised acrylic dividers, allowing flow under the gravel line. However how do people drain into the rear sump? Also I was thinking about only pumping water into 2 of the 6 divisions in the tank and letting the water ciculate from gaos under the gravel?

Edited by Squae

The only issue I can see with the Mr Aqua is that I don't think it would be wide enough to include a rear sump area unless you constructed one yourself to add on. It may be better just to drill holes or make slots in the dividers and then run individual sponge filters in each compartment to circulate water.

Or have one smaller section at one end with the filter and heater and run a DIY spray bar using sprinkler parts.

That's the only issue I had with my barracks system. Designing something that actually moved the water around evenly.

Not sure if you have seen these videos but here are some good ideas for different barracks.

The only issue I can see with the Mr Aqua is that I don't think it would be wide enough to include a rear sump area unless you constructed one yourself to add on. It may be better just to drill holes or make slots in the dividers and then run individual sponge filters in each compartment to circulate water.

Or have one smaller section at one end with the filter and heater and run a DIY spray bar using sprinkler parts.

That's the only issue I had with my barracks system. Designing something that actually moved the water around evenly.

Not sure if you have seen these videos but here are some good ideas for different barracks.

Hey Wild Nut.

Like your thoughts on the Mr Aqua tank am actually looking to buy the "book shelf" tank. Its 90Longx24cmDeepx21cm High. Looking to have a narrow rear sump approx. 7cm deep.

Meaning each individual tank would be approx. 15cm long x 18cm Deep x 21cm High. (Meaning approx. 8 litres per tank)

I now have to,

1) Find someone to make up the acrylics

2) Work out exactly how I am going to drain into the rear sump, and also distribute water back into tank (might use an ADA type flow tube?)

3) Work out if I go clear dividers (with coloured infils), or go coloured dividers?

It's a nice tank. I don't know why more companies don't produce long, shallow tanks because they have much better dimensions for fish in my opinion.

The silicone and finish is very good on mine.

Look forward to seeing how you go with this. If you do it right it would make a great display.

Unfortunately, my brain is not geared towards engineering greatness so I will leave someone else to answer your questions about sumps.

Honestly, I think solid coloured dividers are best. In my barracks I had clear glass, and even with limited visual access (I bulldog clipped binder covers over them) a couple of my HM males started tail biting.

You can exercise your males for 5-10 minutes a day with a mirror and that should be enough to keep them sassy and in full form.

Cheers Wild Nut,

Yeah pretty happy with how the setup sounds, however need to work out the rear sump / water circulation.

Any input from people who reckon they have the easiest best solution worked out would be great. Trying to stear clear of individual "taps", just as I dont like them aestetically.

I was thinking a power head connected to one of the continuous glass pipes. Just not sure if I can get powerheads, which are only 7cm's wide ???

Edited by Squae