Danios

Big azza

Hi Azza,

I think danios are considered a temperate rather than true coldwater fish, even though most stores have them out with the goldfish.

Unless your tank is going to get consistently below 15 or so degrees I would think most of the danio species should be able to cope.

If you are just looking to add some movement to your tank, species such as pearl, leopard and zebra are quite hardy and should fulfill your requirements.

However, another fish I would recommend, is the gold medaka. I found them to be hardy, inquisitive, and much more attractive to look at than most danios. Plus my females were always carrying eggs around.

What size tank do you have? Most danios generally need around 3ft of tank because they are such active swimmers.

Hi wild nut I have a 50 litre 20 litre 15 litre tank arm but I really want to get a much larger tank I was thinking maybe 300 litre tank those fish look very interesting I probly will get them do u know of anymore coldwater fish thanks heaps for the advice

If you do ever go with a larger tank, you could look at Murray River rainbows. Unless your water temperature is going to get quite low (below 15 degrees), they seem to be able to withstand a broad range of temperatures. I think for most of these fish simply putting in a heater that is set at something like 18 degrees celsius would mean that it would be off for all but the coldest days of the year.

http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Fluviatilis.htm

Medaka however, come from places where I believe it can freeze over in winter so may be more adaptable to the colder temperatures.

Edited by Wild Nut

• 2 weeks later...

I put danios, rosie barbs and some silver cats in my outdoor pond one summer to clean up mozzies and algea then forgot about them for a long time over winter south of sydney I never check outside water temperature but it gets cold. Anyway the following summer I cleaned the pond and they were still there a few extra and BIG maybe because it was outside and they had live food and lots of leaves and mud in the water I don't know but it was interesting. They died after I put them back in a tank a while later.

Sarah

I put my danios in a 6 litre tank with no heater or filter so I could give the danio tank a really good clean out. I got side tracked and forgot about them till the next morning so I put the danios back in the main tank and 2 day later I had baby danios in the little tank can u believe that.