Wild splendens with submerged bubble nest

briztoon

I can't prove it, as it's in one of my tubs, so I can't take a photo of it. But I'm 100% convinced that one of my Smaragdina boys has a submerged bubble nest.

Last water change I put an extra ~3cm of water in to the tub. This covered one piece of driftwood, by about 2cm, that has a cave like structure under the top branch part of it. One of the males is fully coloured up and defending the submerged cave.

I doubt most people will be able to tell much from a photo. The piece of driftwood is covered in subwassertang and has a couple of Java fern leaves over the top of it. I have a short video to down load, so will post it up later.

The male is sitting about centre of the photo, with his nose appearing to touch a Java fern leaf.

005-5.jpg

Video added.

th_006-6.jpg

As for the sex change. Well I thought my Mahachaiensis tub had all boys in it (I have the only female in another tub inside). Today I found a large bubble nest full of eggs in the tub and the largest male defending it. So one of the smaller males is obviously a female. I accidentally disturbed the nest a little and freed some eggs from the nest, and watched the male frantically collect the few that floated free.

004-9.jpg

So it appears all my bettas in tubs were busy this morning, spawning. Four spawns in one day. :D/>

Edited by briztoon

The attraction is that I can keep them outside, sit on an old milk crate and watch my fish like I'm looking in a pond. Except in Autumn and Winter I can bring them inside when it becomes to cool.

Plus they're cheaper and easier to clean than tanks.

Oh, and I'm not allowed any more tanks until I buy a house.