50L stocking

Rodger

Hi all, I'm just wondering if my tank would be able to support many more fish or not... It's a planted 2' 50L (blue planet 'classic 50'), with 10 corys (leopards) and a bristlenose. How much load do the corys put on the system is my main question I guess. howmanyfish.com says between 56 and 34 cms of fish depending on body type...

Ideally I'd love a black ghost, tho I'm sure he'd outgrow the tank eventually, and I'm not sure about keeping one with the corys... Any other suggestions? Preferably amazon type, and something that would eat the snails would be great too lol

What sort of filtration do you have on the tank? Ideally you want the filter to be turning the water over at a rate of 3 times an hour for a fully stocked tank. I would advise against putting a black ghost in a 50L tank, the tank is too small for that fish without considering the fact the tank already has fish in it. You want to keep more to smaller type fish for a 50L tank, tetra, harlequin rasbora to name a couple.

The filter is apparently 450L/h. And yeah, I wish black ghosts only got to 6-10cms... lol

I'm thinking a pair of bolivian rams, or even blue rams, would be great. If I can actually get a real pair... Might be worth asking in the classifieds for an established pair?

I'm in exciting Canberra lol

But today I visited the local fish shop, omg so many nice fish! A lot of bolivians, and a lovely pair of german blues... but they also had bonded pairs of apistos! I'm now really considering a pair of cacatuoides, they had such a nice pair of triple reds... mmmmm!

Cacatuoides are a very good beginner apistogramma.

You want to be careful about which dwarves you start with. Many dwarf cichlids (especially Blue rams and apistogramma) require soft, acidic water to live in. If they don't have the right water, they don't survive for too long. Which is why I suggested Bolivian rams or Laetacara dorsigera (or curviceps) as they are pretty hardy and a lot more tolerant of water conditions.

Cacatuoides are also pretty hardy, and can tolerate a wider range of water conditions. Talk to the LFS about what types of water different fish need. Some fish will not adapt to water different to what they were raised in.

Yeah definitely, and I currently have about 6-6.5ph and very soft water already. Canberra tap water has almost no hardness, great for amazon type tanks! I will be getting a better test kit before any new fish as well, I have 7-in-1 strips, which aren't really that fine