denisonii barbs

6ftaquaman

I must be mad but I splashed out and bought 6 today. I was planning on adding 2 at a time due to the cost of them but today made my mind up to get them as the store started off with 70 and today when I went in they had less than 20. Talking to the owner he is hopefully of another batch coming from his supplier though. My rainbows gave them a hostile reception and the silly buggers (torpedo barbs) would not school together to start with so the rainbows ganged up on them one at a time.

Took the barbs a good hour or so to figure out once they were in a school the rainbows backed off, although they did keep them pinned to one end of the tank for about 30 mins after that too but now they have all settled down and are getting on. Tis a little stressful watching expensive fish get stressed let me tell you!

Tank is coming along nicely too, have another cool peice of driftwood and waiting for some plants to arrive by mail and I will take some video to post. All I will need after that is a corner rock ledge I have a guy making me to hide the heater then it will be 100% complete.

I've just discovered these guys - the colour on the full grown torpedos are in.sane.balls, and watching a gang of 30 in an 8 foot community is pretty special....

I guess it's a bit like letting out a female into the prize winning halfmoon tank, but one halfmoon is about the same cost of half a torpedo barb caudal.

PHOTOS SIR.

That would be a sight to see, 30 in an 8 foot tank. It will be interesting to see how mine grow over the next couple of months. My yoyo loaches are twice the size I bought them at. One of the lfs I go to has a huge torpedo barb in their show tank.

The torpedo barbs are my favs followed closely by the rainbows. No photos! :P I am going to video the tank and post that when I get a chance. I still need to mess around with this new piece of driftwood and get it in a spot I am happy with before "the shoot". I just left it leaning up against another piece as the elephant noses were having fun exploring it as soon as I put it in the tank. A bloody tetra swam up the gravel syphon the other day too. These fish are getting too comfortable in my tank I tells ya. :lol:

Actually none of them are scared of the syphon anymore, they think its food and inside and peck at it. I have to be really careful not to crush a fish. I once by accident buried a yoyo under the gravel, it was just sheer luck that I saw its tail flick so I lifted the gravel to see what that was and the yoyo flew out!

Just be very careful water changing them, they seem to be extremely sensitive to changes in water params. Have seen them doing death loops like they've been exposed to chlorine (they hadn't) just from not acclimating slowly enough. Best of luck. :)

So maybe I better take this video before the next water change then lol. So no pressure on my next water change then :tongue: Thanks for the heads up though, I may do smaller partial water changes than I have been doing to be on the safe side with them in the tank. Nothing worse than watching a fish do death loops, especially expensive fish! Glad they survived the transfer from the fish store to my tank now too.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah it is, they can get abit narky with each other at feeding time but that is usually limited to aggression within each species. All species get on well, sadly I came home the other day to both elephant nose fish dead. Not sure what happened with them, was abit of a shock to see them both dead. They looked fine in the morning when I left and my water paramaters are fine so its a mystery to me what caused it.