Heaters and Air Pumps

SurferJoe1958

OK , I have been out of fish keeping for about 20 years now and recently back in. Have bred a few fish recently but brands have changed somewhat from when I was last involved.

So what I am after is advice on good brands to buy.

For example , I used to use Rena heaters in the old days and never had a fail ( though eventually moved to a fish room with gas heating ). I have seen Eheim Jager on the market ( at a fairly high price ) and am leaning towards them.

Currently I have been buying heaters from a store in Hong Kong - out of 12 I have bought I have had one fail by itself ( just stopped heating ) and another I dropped and broke so can't complain about that one.

Any thoughts on brands to recommend? I am planning on slowly changing over these cheap Chinese heaters ( about $12 delivered ) to a good brand.

Likewise on Air Pumps - current layout prohibits using a blower so need multiple air pumps ( 4 outlet ). I looked at different ones and settled on Halea as they also make blowers. The first one I bought , a 4 outlet , died within a month. It was the speed control ( which I bypassed ) but I have only ever had diaphragms fail in the past on air pumps and maybe once a coil.

Recommended brands for air pumps also please?

Thanks for any suggestions you can make. I am considering maybe using a blower but put it up in the roof space ( colorbond roof ) and piping through the ceiling. Any thoughts on this idea also?

I've being using aquaone heaters and so far had no problem with them. I do have one maybe two cheap chinese brands, what I don't like about them is the plug it's the chinese plug and I have to get a special power board if I want to plug in more than one.

As for the air pump I've being using the ehiem Schego... it's amazing I plug in about 20 tanks into it and it's still going strong! The downside... it's a little pricey. I used to use a chinese brand one (a good chinese brand I just can't remember what's it called) it worked well for about 12 months or so really quite but then it's slightly noticeable noise just before I stopped using it). The air supply was really consistent and strong never had trouble with it. It was a 4 outlet system I was powering about 10 tanks with it and had really strong air supply.

You cant go past ehiem products, whilst they are pricey they are built to last and personally I have not had an ehiem product fail on me so you end up getting your mmonies worth in the long run. I have a 2 port ehiem 400 air pump that I am going to run a 5 way splitter off (potentially I could run 10-12 hoses off it depending on performance) I also have an ehiem jager heater and an ehiem 2080 filter and im happy with all of them. It all depends on the amount you are willing to spend.