Killifish ID?

Wild Nut

I pulled this now juvenile killifish out of one of my tanks when he was only very young. At the time I was having issues with some kind of bacterial infection, so I put him in one of my established tank and forgot all about him until I found him looking like a fat little blimp.

IMG_5208.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

He is now quite large, but I am not sure what exactly her is? I am thinking he is just an 'aquarium strain' as I think I had some cross-breeding going on between my strains when I was trying to get them all better. However, he is quite beautiful and quite happily living in a community setting (he was attempting at some point to eat my newly added CPDs *lol*).

Sorry the photos are not too good. He is senor speedy.

Well I had scheeli, udi-berge and nsukka all in together around the time of his conception due to problems with my main divided set-up (ie. everyone was dying).

Looking at him I am thinking he is maybe udi-berge x something. The plan is just to get him a couple of generic gardneri females for company and set him up in his own little planted kingdom.

He does have that n'sukka look to him. However, he is a stunning little fish whatever his breeding and such a character. He was trying to eat my new Celestial pearl danios when I first added them the other day.

-6 I think I would die. It's bad enough here. I am like a lizard when it's cold. I need to find a sunny rock to thaw myself out on *lol* Luckily it looks like the weather is slowly on the turn.

It is very hard to know if this fish is pure N;ssuka pure udi bergi or a cross.These fish look very alike and are unusual in the gardeneri family to have an anal fin with no colour stripe the only others are Abinti,mamfense and lacustris which are not in Australia to my knowledge.

Most crosses have the paired yellow stripes on the dorsal and anal fin.If its possible that its a cross then its best not to breed from him.It would be interesting to see what part of a mop he uses,my N'sukka when I had them used the very top of the mop

I wouldn't be breeding from him, and if I did collect any eggs they would be purely for my own personal fishy collection and not resale.

I put the N'sukka female in with him for some company and she was not at all impressed with his idea of wooing. This was after he tried to see if he could fit my clown killifish male in his mouth *lol*

Killifish have such a great personality. I moved my australe pair into temporary accommodations and they have been having a blast swimming around exploring. The male discovered the breeding mop not long after and they have started to look like they may be using it.

Edited by Wild Nut