New Tank

coycub

Hey Guys.

Well I've just got a new 5' x 18" x 18" tank and lashed out for a Univeral Habitat 3D latex background to go with it. They cost far too much btw! I would have brought the 6' x 2' x 2' but I am impatient and it needed to be built, and so I walked out with the 5 footer instead, the 6 footer will come once the 5 footer is done. Anyway below are some pics of what I am up to so far.

It's going to be for my rapidly growing Black Ghost Knife Fish (Apteronotus albifrons) and will probably put a few Black Veil Tail Angels or Altum Angels in there also. I am planning on heavily planting it and rigging up a DIY CO2 kit etc. Anyway I'll keep ya's posted.

Bare Bones Tank

Posted Image

Hmm, getting this latex background in will be fun. Thankfully it's bendy!

Posted Image

ARGH! I hate silicone! It's so sticky and messy. Some Natural Red 3mm - 6mm substrate might help.

Posted Image

Cheers

Matt

wow that looks fantastic Matt! Please do keep us posted on progress. I hate that rubber background for the mess, but it looks SO good once done. I had it in my 4' African tank and my 2' tall brichardi tank. I read somewhere once about alternative backings, using sand and silicone or something. There must be a cheaper way!

Yeah I researched some DIY backgrounds with spray foam, resin, concrete over polystyrene etc, I'm just not that creative I'm afraid but I was tempted to give it a try, and still might for the next tank. Those backgrounds cost as much as a 6' x 2' x 2' tank!!! *ouch*

Thanks Guys. Yeah the latex backgrounds really do need to be securely siliconed and if you don't have your inlet behind the background, you need to make doubly sure there's no leakage. It's a tough job looking for leaks, I'm still waiting for the 2nd lot of silicone to cure because with the first lot I missed a couple spots I thought were good to go! Anyway it's all fun, I love setting up tanks, especially planted ones.

Archived