Australian Biotope Aquarium

Wanting to create an Australian Biotope Aquarium,

Just wondering who has done this and where I can source the info from?

I want a river bed look with plenty of native plants and rainbowfish as well as other native fish. I have a 300L 4' tank to do this. I live about an hour and a half out of Melbourne. Wondering where I can find information and creating such a biotope online or in store and where I can source the gravel, rocks, fish and plants etc for the tank. I need help on water parameters etc, and inspreation, step by step guides.

Any help, links, info etc will be very much appreciated! :)

Jane.

Aquagreen is out of most plants... I think due to quarantine and snails or something, Dave said something on AL about it. The Howard river would be a good biotope, there are lots of plant and fish species from there, you will find some on AL also... I'll see if I can find you one.

Yeah I love aquagreen but he is rather out of stock at the moment. I want to try and get the hardscape first to set it up. I was thinking of going to Subscape in Richmond for the hardscape/equipment?

Well first you need to decide what sort of area you want to emulate, a rocky area, black water creek ect. If your looking for rocks you would want rounded ones.

92a032a6.jpg

When your looking for driftwood look for melaleuca, someone has some very good examples but I'm not sure if she ships it.

Being a horticulturalist, I should be able to go out and find some melaleuca, but what species of melaleuca?

I would like quite a heavily planted tank with a bit of a river look and lots of driftwood... a bit like this but a bit more Val and Hairgrass...

image10.jpg

:bighug:

Most species should be fine.... I only use the leaves of those that can be found in bogs and on the side of creeks though. The roots look better than the branches as well.

Keep in mind if it's a biotope all the plants and animals must come from the same area... Such as the Daley River or the Howard river. If you use stuff from more than one location it would no longer be a biotope.