riley from perth

rileyviks

hey guys I'm kinda new to this forum and it has lots of bettas and friendly people i breed betas guppies and red cores jewel chilchids i have a red dragon hmpk pair from someone another red dragon from vegas and a true fighter male and looking for a female i have 8 tanks my red dragon hmpks spawned and i was also wondering about one of the fry is about 2 cm and the rest are no more bigger than 1 cm i was wondering if i might have a giant or if he's just got a faster growth rate

thanks riley

Hey Riley,

I've had several spawns grow out - and have noticed the growth rate is very un-even, so it's most likely that.... unless you have Giant in your genetics somewhere, I think it's unlikely.

Think about them all in a small body of water in the wild (100 litres in a little pond - etc) with 100+ fry.... the older siblings will get first dibs on food, and at some point, will turn on the little ones that are weakening and slow as they can't get food.

The idea of 100 fish growing at the same rate means that they would all equally get access to food and resources.... wouldn't work

I guess I subscribe to the survival of the fittest, and thats the basis of my reasoning, only backed up by my limited experience!

An issue divides the masses (I've watched 50+ aquarium industry professionals split on this) is the growth inhibiting hormone.

Personally I reckon the bigger fish (the alphas) are less affected by this hormone that all fry are theorized to produce, and they the big uns.

Worth looking into.

Cheers,

Ness

Hi Riley

Welcom to the forum. I am breeding HM PKs myself and would have to agree with Ness on the coments made and she is much to modest about her experiance. i also think GIH has this effect on fry but ether spliting or more frequent water changes will help.

Cheers

les

Hi Rily

I dont have any HMPKs at this very moment but I will in about six to eight weeks they will be from a F2 Blue MG Dragone HM PK spawn so my expectations for this spawn is high. Keep in touch and I will let you know when they are ready.

Are you into wilds as I have some Betta Channoides fry in the grow out tank and have just got some Betta Brownii and Betta Smaragdina so they will be in the spawn tanks once they have been conditioned. I also have some Killie I am willing to share if they take your fancy?

Cheers

Les

PS Let me know what live food cultures you need.

hi les

i would love to grab some of those mg dragon hmpk I'm not into wilds atm but their the next fish ill be breeding as soon as i get a tank i had two panocha a couple months ago but not to interested in about 1 month or two i might need some vinegar eels or micro worms

thanks riley