Marine Aquarium

ajay.76

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with marine aquariums? i have mine set up with some salt water that was on N on the salometer gauge, i had to add water to bring up the water level in tank and have been adding salt trying to get the salt levels back up i have succeeded to a point and now i can not seem to get any further?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Go to your LFS and buy some ready mixed or natural salt water and get a refractometer, anything else is a waste of cash and highly inaccurate in most cases.

Are you properly mixing your salt? You can't just dump it in the tank especially once you have fish and/or coral in there.

I am all new to this Yan and do not have any fish only live rock, do not intend to get any fish until i know it is right.

So i am not sure how to do anything with a marine aquarium i was given some salt water (as much as i could get from the original tank anyway) and was told just to add tap water when i got home (to bring tank level up to where it needed to be) and add salt a little at a time (i am using a 30ml medicine cup) and have been adding 1 cup twice a day for the past 2 days. the hydrometer/densimetre has came down from 1,01 to 1,015 but hasn't moved since yesterday morning, this is about ,006 short of nuetral.

Next chance i get near the live fish store i will see if i can get a refractometer however i don't like my chances of ready mixed/natural salt water (only because i am west of Tamworth and i have only seen one pet shop that even has marine fish)...Any advice you have for me will be greatly appreciated...Thanks for taking the time to read this :D

Don't waste your money and risk fish until your tank has stabilized and is fully cycled. Buy your own test kits and refactometer now. http://www.guppysaqu...roducts.com.au/ is a good resource for cheap marine products.

Take some water out of your tank and into a bucket, add your salt to that and allow it to fully dissolve (add a powerhead to it to keep the water moving). Then pour that back into your tank until it's reading 1.025.

Edited by Yan

Thanks Yan, i have Guppy aquarium products in bookmarks already, definitely not getting fish until the tank is right...Will follow your directions for adding the salt...Again thank you soo much for your patience and advice.... :dance:

As reliable as Melbourne tap water may be... I wouldn't trust it. Our 8 ft marine crashed because instead of ro water we used tap...

:( wish we spent the extra 10 on ro every time.. Lost almost over $1000 of stock. We had it set up for about 2 years though...