Spawn wars

fishbites

Had a great laugh tonight - a 4ft tank with 6 pairs of convict cichlids has had war break out tonight.

Somehow, 3 pairs have managed to spawn and get fry up to about 5mm in size - there are now border wars breaking out all over the tank with fish diving out from behind driftwood and pots and having flare offs to guard their precious babies! the upper parts of the tank are made up of the parentless fish that are not game to descend to where the wars are going on.

In another tank a proud pair of T. ellioti have started to raise their first spawn - looks like about 40 + babies so far... parents look like this pair

Convicts are one of the most ferocious parents I have seen. Have seen them kill much bigger fish in a short time when fry become free swimming. Have no hesitation attacking you hand, I bet. Lol.

Those others look stunning mate. Very nice. Let me know how these go please. :-)

Convicts are pretty tough but I've seen a big male back down to a chinese algae eater before.... in this tank with 6 pairs - not one shredded fin or missing scale - its all bluff and bluster - I think they know the consequences if they really get into it....

Will definitely track the progress of the ellioti's - been waiting for these to arrive :) had let previous spawns get snacked on to encourage the parents to grow up a bit more - male is still only about 9cm but will take this spawn and then let them grow some more again I think....