Tough week on the aquarium front.

Earlier this week I lost one of my peppered corydoras. It had been a bit more subdued than the other cory I had and a week before it died, I saw an unexplained red lesion on its underside where I'm pretty sure I hadn't seen it there before. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I accidentally bumped the little thing while I was vacuuming the gravel.

6240055530_aa4c2c1b64_b.jpg

I already had some condition salts in the water and the wound healed up very well but it was still quite subdued, it spent a lot of time resting on the gravel while the other one foraged and remained active.

Anyway I found it laying on its side one morning, I fished it out, it had died overnight.

Today my long fin zebra danio died too. I only got it from the LFS a week ago, and a day or two after I got it, I noticed that it seemed to have a slightly larger abdomen than the other danios. For all intents and purposes it looked like photos of egg-bearing danios. I noticed that sometimes it would stay at mid level and didn't really hang around with the other danios.

Anyway yesterday it became clear that it wasn't bearing eggs when it started to really look lethargic and gasping. I took it out and put it in a bucket with more salts and a heater but it looked in bad shape. Towards the end its abdomen was quite significantly swelled, and it couldn't swim properly anymore. I think it's dropsy, I think I could see some fuzziness in its abdominal area, the 'pine cone' maybe.

My other fish look fine so far. Hope I don't get anymore fatalities.

My water parameters are spot on though, zero ammonias and nitrites, 5 ppm nitrates. 7.4 to 7-6 pH. So it can't be anything to do with water quality.

So sorry to hear about your losses :alright: I hope those are the only two casualties.

In your post, you mentioned purchasing the zebra danio recently from your LFS. Did you quarantine it before adding it to your main tank? It may have been carrying something bacterial that it has passed on to your other fish.

Also, I believe that as they are scaleless, Corydoras are very sensitive to salt. Although it sounds like this isn't what killed yours.

No I did not quarantine it before adding it to my main tank. Yeah I'm now aware it may have been carrying something. :(

I can't figure out what happened with the cory, the only thing I can think of is that I must've bumped it. They're more or less camoflaged in the gravel I've got in the tank.

Besides cost and commitment, the sensitivity of fish to its environmental surrounds (and the maintenance and costs to maintain a stable environment) was what kept me away from fish-keeping for years.

ok.......

So I set up the spare 50L last night, put a heater in there to start warming it up. Today I come home from work expecting to have to catch a diseased black widow tetra but...

... its abdomen seems to have unswelled itself. In fact out of the six black widows I have, I'm not exactly sure which one it is now, it's looking normal.

What the hell is going on? It really gave me a scare.

On the other hand, when I turned on the lights, I noticed that the betta didn't seem himself, he was a skittish and wasn't his calm laidback self.