Tank Help

hungryemo

I really hope I'm posting this in the right place...

Anywho, while I'm waiting for my bigger tanks to arrive (or, okay, I suppose I have to find and pay for them first but details schmetails), I wanted to get a small tank for one male Betta. I was looking around for something that he could go in comfortably but also something I could use in the future as a hospital tank or whatknot. So then I found this:

eBay Link

Now, while I've been researching and researching all the specifications for a good Betta tank - it sometimes all looks like French to me. I'd really like to know if the supplied filter and heater are good enough for the little guy or if I need to go buy different kinds?

Cheers.

The flow of the filter might be a bit strong.

These fish don't really need a lot. Glass tank, lids, heater and a little sponge filter. A piece of Java fern or moss and you are set to go.

For the same money as that tank, you should be able to get a bigger one and put in a divider and have two fish.

:-).

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

I know I paid over for something so small but I wanted something all-in-one and quickly, though I know they're generally not always the best things to buy. I'm having a couple of tanks made and have been looking into a barracks - but the heating and filtering confuses the heck outta me right now! (It doesn't take much).

Hungry,

Believe me, the barracks thing still scares the bejesus out of me too.... BUT I WANT ONE (I digress)

Something about the 22 litre mark is actually perfecto for a spawn tank (you'll need one down the track, mwahahaha - but is very big for hospital.....)

These Aqua Ones come up lots second hand on the Bay, so don't buy a new one!

I find they're a good sorority tank too, but the filtration really needs to be altered, they have a craaaazy spray-bar and it's really too much for betta - they're used to still water or really gentle flow.

I have to admit - there are some super cheap tanks at places like Kmart / big W that are anywhere from 12-22 litres, and they're pretty good.

The filtration is weak as, so it's actually suitable, and you just need to pop a heater in there and bobs your aunty.

With this whole tank / intro to betta thing it might be worth mentioning water.

Sounds silly, but I have to say, I've learnt LOTS about water, mostly because I was coming up with so many health issues with my fish.

Git yourself a PH test kit - it's handy to know what PH the water is that comes out of your tank... so if you need to buffer it or not.

Betta like a stable PH, and are kinda flex about what they need, so long as it's stable.

My PH is pretty useless (5.5) so I use CARBONATE HARDNESS POWDER / BUFFER this keeps the hardness of the water stable, and the ph stable at 7 - it's a little investment for big piece of mind (don't never use ph up or down, they don't FIX the water)

Also - you might want to look at a little bit of shell grit, and aquarium salt - it's the first thing to throw at an ill-looking fish, mineral rich water helps fish keep their minerals IN - mineral deficient water leaches the minerals out of the fish = sick fish.

Another good thing to have on the shelf is Bettafix - it's got lots of goodies to help them put a bit of pep in their step if they're looking a bit flat.

And Stress Coat - it's a must! Dechorlinates and treats water to make it fish safe... there is so much junk in council water, it's not funny.

So when i add new water, it's got:

Same temperature as whats in the tank! 24-26 degreez

Carbonate hardness powder (GHz)

Tiny bit of aquarium salt

Stress coat/dechlorinator

When you're establishing the big tank with filtration etc - do a bit of research on CYCLING your tank... there's a few threads on here too that might help.

It's a little shopping list, but believe me - you'll save in the long run with sick fish and fatalities (learn from my mistakes!)

End of rant!

-ProNess

Thank you! I've done a bit of research on the cycling but, to me, it looked like they were typing in tongues and I understood about every fifth word. So I'm definitely going to get myself a little bit more acquainted with that very soon. I'm sure it's actually really easy - give me something difficult to do and I'll do it easily. Give me something easy and I'll overthink it.

I do have a pretty large shopping list and I went to the Aquarium place today to get most of it ahead of time and, when I got there and saw how much stuff was there, I kinda felt like curling up in the fetal position and sobbing. So I left with some Seachem and some lamb necks for the dogs (I know how to take care of them, at least).

I hadn't heard of Bettafix though so that's now on the list.

What can I do about the filtration on the tank I've ordered, if anything? It was only ever going to be a temp thing but I'm thinking I may now just go ahead and get a couple of 2 or 3 foot glass tanks and kit them out myself (so no doubt I'll overthink that and it'll take me six months to actually set 'em up).

Okay, so that tank arrived (minus heater... ugh). So, can I get the sponge filter to wrap around to lessen the flow? (I have no idea what I'm talking about here).

I also managed to get an Aqua One 28ltr tank also, which came with a stand but nothing else. So what is the best filter to get for that? I'm going to read into all my bookmarks a little tomorrow but if anyone has time to list some things I'd need to pick up, would help immensely! I've read a lot of about filter media but... um, still don't really know what that is. So do I need to pick that up too?

Okay... you can laugh at how clueless I am now. :blush:

EDIT: I did buy all the things listed above (except Shell Grit, which nobody near me seems to have!)

Edited by Hungry Emo