Green Terror

Bekkaz

Hey all

I got myself a Green Terror because I thought my Red Devil looked a little bored on her own. I've got the two of them in a very large tank with glass separating them for now (so the GT can build up his own territory without RD chasing him away), or if aggression continues to be an issue they'll be separated until I can transfer one to my spare tank when I have the space to set it up.

The GT has the nice big black spot on his sides, but sometimes it fades to a golden colour. I was just wondering if anyone knows what this is indicating? I've only really kept bettas before (aside from Oscars when I was younger), and didn't want to just assume that it was like the barring that they do when they're ready to breed, or if it's that he's frightened by the RD following him along the glass. Does anyone know?

I'm having a great time watching these two. We inherited the RD a month or so ago from a friend who didn't want it anymore, and it 'housekeeps' by clearing a big patch of gravel away from the glass and spitting it elsewhere in the tank. It keeps this patch of glass clear near its hiding spot. The GT has only been in the tank since this morning and has already started doing the same thing and making its own cleared space. They're highly entertaining! The RD also seems to spend half the time swimming backwards rather than forwards. It has a log that it hides in that only opens at one end so it's obviously gotten quite adepts at going in reverse.

I realised since getting the RD that I've missed having entertaining fish :)

Is the clearing a normal behaviour of males? I got the impression the RD was female because it really doesn't have any indication of the bump on its head. It's at least a year old, I'm not sure how old exactly, I'll have to ask my friend when she got it.

Here are a couple of shots of them. They're a little camera shy:

_6139125.jpg

_6139135.jpg

_6139136.jpg

I hope they get along once we move them. The RD managed to somehow get across the divider (I think it dug under and got through the gap for the filter.) and gave the GT a beating up. He's missing some scales but I think he'll be ok. I've redesigned the divide between then now and hoping it won't happen again! They were pretty subdued when we got back and not attacking anymore so maybe they've worked out who's boss.

fertilised? can these guys hybridise? :confused:

I hope not!

Thanks for the compliment :) I think she's really pretty. Much more interesting to look at than the RD.

The guy in the shop said it was a he, and I thought the same from what I'd read since getting her home. She's hovering over the eggs now. I guess she'll eat them in a day or so.

• 3 weeks later...

So she's laying eggs again...at least I've worked out the behaviour pattern. Her scales were finally looking good after her last beating up, and the RD got into her side of the tank and attacked her again yesterday. I did say to my boyfriend I thought it might be a hormonal thing, and there's now a few hundred eggs in the tank.

I stole them off her and slid the rock she laid on into Red's side, so he's getting a nice feed. The last lot went moldy - there's no point keeping them in with her.

Now what I need is a male to put in with her so that next time we have a chance at fry. I'm considering when I get them into a bigger tank going and getting some more rivulatus, however I did some research on them yesterday and I think she might be in the 'new' species, Andinoacara stalsbergi. So I hope I can find her a mate somewhere. The shop I got her from had more in the tank, but they also told me she was a male so I'm not sure if I should go by their word again when I really do need it to be a male this time.

I love that I've finally got a fish that actually lays eggs. I tried keeping bettas and I could never get them to that stage. We saw juvenile Rivulatus in a shop yesterday and they were so cute. Very keen for more!