Koi type Angels have eggs!

fishbites

Just went crazy with the camera - took a few vids but not high quality (sacrificed quality to keep the vids small)... good enough to give you a look though....

The Koi type Angels have laid eggs on two anubias leaves.... lots of little black eyes and wiggling tails there now! Parents are behaving and picking up fry/eggs that wiggle off the leaves and spitting them back - hoping this pair will be good parents and help raise the fry...

Thought the sailfin gibbies were looking good enough to video too....

got a few others below....

UPDATE: fry swarming and adults attending to the fry - video below....

UPDATE 24 Sept 10 - no fry left... parents had a snack....

UPDATE 17 Oct 10 - new eggs - well over 100 at a guess - parents tending to them...

Edited by fishbites

Yes.. they've hatched ... a lot of little black eyes and wiggling tails there.... still attached to the leaves though....

I'm guessing that they'll be free swimming in a few days ... both parents are tending to them and picking up any that become detached so its all looking good so far....

Just need more tanks now to house the babies when they start growing! Already have red forest jewels, M. johannii, and convicts to try to 'move on' and now looks like some angels as well...

These angels are going to be good parents.... this morning they'd moved all the fry to another leaf on a different plant... by this afternoon all the fry had been moved back to the original plant and spread over 3 leaves this time.... the fry are about 4mm long and definitely getting bigger by the day... by the weekend should be free swimming I think....

Update.... again this morning the parents have moved the eggs/fry back to the leaf they had moved them to yesterday morning.... given the fry are now hatched and just using up the yolk sack... should I remove the parents or leave them to raise the fry (or will they start snacking on them?)

Came back from Brisbane on Friday night and found the fry free swimming now.... parents seem to be tending to fry ... herding them in a big group and picking up strays and spitting them back into the group.... they're a bit upset about the betta patoti female lurking in the tank next to theirs!! She would happily have a snack if she could...

Maybe you should block their view of the patoti. Since they're being good parents I wouldn't remove them. I did that once and the pair turned on each other. There are soooooooooo many of them. I hope you have a bucket load of food ready. Have you got spare tanks to split the spawn up into?

• 4 weeks later...

I did block their view of the patoti's in the next tank but they ended up eating their last batch of free swimming fry... they have spawned again but this time with a huge batch of eggs on a larger leaf...

Now the question becomes --- do I remove the parents this time to save the fry or perhaps siphon the fry out once they become free swimming to save as many as possible....

Does anyone know the genetics of angels? I got told koi x koi produce marble angels but other places I've read that koi x koi produce koi offspring.... oh well... will know in a couple of months I guess :)

Edited by fishbites