So what's the difference?

fishfin

Sounds like another expensive packet of salt.... who knows what they've put in it to turn it blue but normal salt is white....

A lot of companies sell 'conditioning salts' which are supposed to help you adjust the electrolytes and water hardness to suit the fish you are keeping - how one packet does this for a tank with a variety of fish I'm not too sure. I've never used these conditioning salts as most of the fish I keep don't seem any the worse after years in my tanks with water buffered to a reasonable pH and low in nitrates. I only use salt if necessary or sometimes as a preventative.

The cynic in me suggests they are a clever way to sell some salt for a higher price (similar to buying Exit Mould for a much higher price than common household bleach which is the active ingredient in Exit Mould!). Maybe the chemically knowledgeable people on here can explain it better to you....

Edited by fishbites

If it is to be used with Rift Lake cichlids it probably has a number of different "salts"

not just tablesalt....epsom salt etc etc

Does it list the salts it contains????

Fishfin might be able to tell us whats on the label....

The only info I can find on it is this: "Provides balanced levels of electrolytes and trace elements for all freshwater and tropical aquariums. The conditioning salts provide a first stage anti- bacterial effect on all fish. Extremely useful in preventing small wounds or body slime damage." which seems a big claim to do this for ALL freshwater and tropical aquariums.....

LOL. There is nothing on the label other than what I have listed.

I have a feeling they are used for what Wayne had descibed - to adjust water hardness etc.

I am on rainwater at home, so I 'guess' that my water is already quite soft.

The lady at the LFS sold me the conditioning salts telling me that it must be added to each water change. Now I'm not so sure. To tell you the truth, I have only used them once in the smaller tank, and more recently in the larger tank as I added Magic Clear to the tank. The directions on Magic Clear stated that it must be used in conjunction with Conditioning salts.