New tank help please?

fishfin

Can I just start this topic by saying that I am so excited!

I have just bought a 215 litre tank! It's a bow front, curved glass tank.

I have decided to hunt around for a nice aquarium for the lounge room and I have found exactly what I'm after. It's 2nd hand and still needs a stand but that's cool. Hubby is a carpenter and can build me something nice.

I am collecting it this week and would like to know the safest way to transport it home. I have measured up the back seat of my car and it will fit in there fine, but I'm so concerned the transport of it. Do you just wrap blankets around them during transit?

So, once I get it home I have to wait until my hubby can build me a stand. That won't happen for about 6 weeks as he is currently overseas. What can I do to prepare the tank in the mean time? Could I go ahead and disinfect it, clean it etc? Or is it pointless until I can fill it with water?

I'm really thrilled as Fin (my Betta) and Pip (my Mollie) are moving to bigger and brighter premises! I will keep their current tank, a 20 litre, as a hospital tank. I'm actually thinking of dividing the tank and getting another Betta and friends for the other side.

Addictive??? Nah. ;)

Leonie :betta:

I'll post pics during my set up stages. I'll need lots of help along the way!

Is it a 2nd hand tank? If so you can soak in a bleach solution (forum search 'bleach' as I don't remember the dosage) and after you rinse it, leave it to dry in the sun. If it's new, a simple rinse to remove shop dust will suffice.

Unless you're planning on slamming the brakes on, tanks are a lot tougher than you might think! I am sure a blanket will be adequate - it's a lot more trouble than I ever go to ;)

Yes, the tank is 2nd hand so I will have to do the bleach solution.

Dry it in the sun? LOL. What sun? I live in the mountains and it's been wet, cold and very overcast. I will just have to leave it inside to dry in the warm lounge room I think.