DIY glass tank

Robbies Betta

Well I'm considering making up a glass tank for my fishies (well a small commy tank at least :(, or another breeding one :(( ) what I wanted to know is, what is the biggest tank I can make out of 2.5 mm glass (with supports added on top also) and can I have the length of the tank out of 5mm glass, and the sides and bottom 2.5mm? also the size I'm going for is W=45cm, D=48cm, L=45cm. these are the 2.5mm glass measurements. with the 5mm glass, measurements that change are D=43cm, L=59cm, W=45cm. (5mm glass used as front and back sides). what amount of water fits in each, and which is more "feasable" to make? cheers

2.5mm glass is to thin for the base of any tank as it will crack to easily even with minimal weight .Better to use the 5mm on the base and the 2.5mm on the sides as to how big you can make it i wouldnt attempt it if i were you as 2.5mm is to fragile for that sort of thing i only use it on lids and have to replace it often

alright cool, Then I'll have to make the width smaller to fit the 5mm glass on the bottom so the new measurements (hopefully) look like W=43cm, D=48cm, L=45cm. I've made an almosr 2G tank with 2.5mm and it's been fine since. hopefully someone will be able to rescue me (before I have to rescue my fishies from a broken tank) :(

Robbie The minimum thickness glass normally used in making tanks is 6mm. If you want to make a safe tank then minimum thickness of glass for sides and base is as follows - these are a small extract from a chart that shows recommended sizes back in 1980 put out by the insurance council people. tank size glass thickness sides base 300 x 150 x 150 6mm 8mm 450 x 250 x 250 6mm 8mm 600 x 300 x 300 8mm 10mm 900 x 450 x 450 10mm 12mm 1200 x 600 x 600 12mm 20mm as you can see plenty of over kill. But for saftey sake don't use anything less than 5mm for any tank no matter how small and if you intend to build the size you quoted then at least 6mm sides and 8mm base in a good float not laminated glass. Also note that any tank deeper than 375mm will need a minimum of 6mm preferably 8mm sides just to support the water presure without bowing. Also remember that 90% of all silicon sold is not designed for long periods underwater and you will need to use good quality construction grade silicon. Graeme :P

Archived