Grindal worms

Luke Antonelli

Hello to all sorry for long time no speak my computer crashed and I had 1000 emails to catch up on the IBC forum. I am after a live culture of Grindal Worms, I have been told that Grindal worms are different then to White Worms and that the Grindal Worms are easier to culture in soil. Correct me if I am wrong, I have tried to culture White Worms in soil that you buy from your local pet store in the small pieces sachet with a bit of water in it. I only bought the ones that had worms moving and looked healthy tried that a few times in potting mix but to no success. So are they different, and does any one have a culture running in soil of either and if so can you spare a starter culture?

Thanks Luke.

Grindals are different from white worms. I think they're smaller. I've cultured white worms in peat with a bit of vermiculite mixed through it. The hard part is keeping them cool. They need the temp to be below 20 deg to do well. Ok in winter but they always die off on me in summer. I did have a grindal culture at one point but I neglected it and lost the culture. However I did give splendidbetta a sub-culture which he might still have going. I think grindals are the opposite to white worms in temp requirements. They like it warm. I personally can't be bothered with either grindals or whiteworms any more. They've never really taken off for me and I find there are plenty of more convenient foods to use.

Archived