Angel Fry Size

garrett

A while back, you may remember me asking for help breeding Angel fish. Well I (they) succeeded and now I have some 40+ fry. I also have another 30+ fry from a friend (I got one day old eggs, he didn't want them to be eaten, so gave them to me, and they all survived the transfer).

The problem is my fry are growing at radically different rates. I now have some fry large enough to eat the smallest fry from the same batch. I have only two survivors from the previous batch about the same size, in another tank, but they are now big enough to eat even the biggest fry from the most recent batch, and all of them are big enough to eat my friends fry.

I have seen a number of fry eaten today, and my 40+ may end up being 10+. Is it normal to have such a divergence in fry sizes, and are angelfish always this aggressive [eating their siblings] even from say 3 weeks.

A while back, you may remember me asking for help breeding Angel fish. Well I (they) succeeded and now I have some 40+ fry. I also have another 30+ fry from a friend (I got one day old eggs, he didn't want them to be eaten, so gave them to me, and they all survived the transfer).

The problem is my fry are growing at radically different rates. I now have some fry large enough to eat the smallest fry from the same batch. I have only two survivors from the previous batch about the same size, in another tank, but they are now big enough to eat even the biggest fry from the most recent batch, and all of them are big enough to eat my friends fry.

I have seen a number of fry eaten today, and my 40+ may end up being 10+. Is it normal to have such a divergence in fry sizes, and are angelfish always this aggressive [eating their siblings] even from say 3 weeks.

garrett

if they are anything like there parents i reckon they would nearly eat the tank their in i go up to the tank to feed them and they are jumping out of the water to attack protecting there fry

cheers macca

Different fry sizes is not entirely unusual although more prevalent if the tank is too small for the number of fry in there. You can counter this to a certain extent by doing daily water changes. But it sounds like the only option available to you now is to separate the fry.

Archived