picky eater

mangomom

I have a fully grown male who wont eat anything unless it is live. I have tried feeding him pellets and not offering anything else and he still won't touch it even after 2 days. What do I do? I have been feeding him mosquito larvae and live bloodworms from my pond. It gets new water quite often. It is a fish pond without the fish. I trust that it is a clean environment and rinse the larvae with dechlorinated water before feeding. The problem is there are not always tons of larvae in the pond. The mosquitos are quite small right now so I harvested some bloodworms from there but I don't think there are any nore for tomorrow, What would you do if you had a picky eater? Is there a place to buy live food for adult bettas and if so what would they eat? I want something that reproduces itself so I don't have to kiip buying them. I have MW but they are way too small. Thanks for your help. You are all wonderful!

Tonya

Have you tried frozen foods? If a betta is used to getting live foods you can sometimes encourage them to change their eating habits but gradually introducing the new food. So put in some live blackworms and also put in some frozen bloodworms. You can also try dangling the frozen bloodworms on a skewer and flicking it to simulate movement. You just need him to take a few bites and soon he'll recognise it as food. Which pellets have you tried? Some are better than others.

Archived