Suggestions for improving Rain water

Betta_Endeavours

Well the ph swing issue has returned with an added bite. Sometime in the next few weeks the existing and new rain water tanks are going to be plumbed into the house. Meaning that for potentially weeks/months at a time we wouldn't have access to anything other than rain water.

So I need a way to add the essential minerals and nutrients required to keep the fish happy heathly. I can't afford to have water sitting around for weeks because I'll end up tossing more than I use because of algae. So if any knows of a fast effective way to treat rain water I'd love to hear it :rolleyes:

You can add aquarium salts. I think Aquasonic make one that adds minerals and trace elements. But that one possibly also has methylene blue which I don't like because I worry that it might make bacteria resistant to treatment. You can also buffer the water with a small bag of shellgrit. Another possibility might be the addition of marine salts but at maybe 10% the concentration you'd use for a marine tank? Maybe you should get into wilds. :giggle: B.macrostoma loves rain water.

On a side note. Robert (hubby) has just ordered a whole house filtration system with UV filter. Does filtered water still have to be treated with dechlorinator or not? No we aren't getting a Puratap system. We had a tap from them in the old house and for the most part it was great except for the fact that it leaked and eventually snapped and their contractors couldn't do a thing to fix it

Archived