Nothobranchius rachovii "black"

Halszka

I was given a killifish pack a week or so ago and have been very excited about it ever since :cheer: Look up "Nothobranchius rachovii black" on google as I don't want to pinch other people's photos. The pack came with the eggs in peat in a small plastic container, two clear pill capsules with a small amount of freshwater fairy shrimp eggs, 3 grams of brine shrimp eggs and a killifish manual ebook.

The hatching window was 29th September to 2nd October for these killies and I hatched them as soon as I could (ie: today, 1st October) since I've just come back from a trip down south to Yallingup.

The species is Nothobranchius rachovii, a peat spawning killifish. It only took 3 hours for the little tykes to hatch! That's faster than brine shrimp! Wahhoo! As I type I have tiny little notho fry swimming around, about the size of newly hatched betta fry, but swimming horizontally straight away.

I used a mixture of 50% aged water from a freshwater fish tank and 50% RO water with the temperature at about 25C. They are in a plastic container which is floating in a freshwater tank. I can't wait to watch these guys grow up. They are meant to reach adult size in only 6 to 8 weeks as these are annual killifish and need to mature fast.

:cheer:

Over the years I have kept many species of Notho's. The one you have is certainly not the easiest, but as it happens, the same species as my first, but mine were the normal colour. The best suggestions I can make are to remove uneaten food quickly and add some salt to the water. Both of these are to avoid the risk of velvet wiping out the fry.

Well done trying your hand with an annual killifish and good luck with them. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Keith

Cheers Keith :scold:

Yes, I have read that they are susceptible to velvet and have added a drop of a broad spectrum medication to their water. So far so good. The fry are swimming around and eating the freshwater fairy shrimp. I'm hatching brine shrimp as we speak. Tomorrow they will go into a small grow out tank, 15L with a few clumps of java moss. *fingers crossed* :scared:

Over the years I have kept many species of Notho's. The one you have is certainly not the easiest, but as it happens, the same species as my first, but mine were the normal colour. The best suggestions I can make are to remove uneaten food quickly and add some salt to the water. Both of these are to avoid the risk of velvet wiping out the fry.

Well done trying your hand with an annual killifish and good luck with them. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Keith

Archived