Brineshrimp eggs

Bettarazzi

Wondering what others experience were with the life of hatching rate of brineshrimp eggs? I've been holding back from buying a 424gram pack because the last time I bought this quantity I think I only used about 100grams of it before the hatching rate fell dramatically. I've tried storing in fridge and freezer but neither seems to make the eggs last longer. The last couple of times I bought brineshrimp eggs I only bought small quantities, 10 or 15 grams at a time. It's more expensive per gram but if you consider that I essentially wasted 300 grams of my 424 gram pack, it works out to be the same price. I guess my question is: how quickly does a 424 gram pack need to be used before the hatching rate drops? Has anyone used all of their 424 gram pack? How quickly did you use it? How many fish were you feeding? How many teaspoons were you hatching at a time? I'm currently only hatching half a teaspoon a day. And I'm feeding about 300 fry.

With sea monkeys, when they finally all die, you can let the tank dry right out, then refill it with distilled water and you get new monkeys - it's that simple, and it's the same as the things work in the wild - eggs dry completely out, and when rain refreshes the pool, they hatch again - that made me wonder about my brine shrimp eggs - how come they need refrigeration, but normal eggs in the wild just 'sit' - either way, I had the same sort of experience with my brine shrimp eggs - they have an abysmal hatch rate now... however, months after the sea monkeys dried out, I refilled it and had a tank full of them all over again - go figure...

Interestingly, excess shrimp from a serve from an LFS ended up going in with my sea monkeys... yep, the sea monkeys get *much* larger than the brine shrimp - I had no idea of the different species, but there you go... they cohabit quite happily, mind you - and both lots lay and carry eggs in there together...

Archived