Dam Decisions

Handsfree

Please forgive me if this seems a blatant political statement, or if the forum thinks this is an inappropriate place to raise an issue such as this. I wanted to bring the threat of our ancient lung fish to the broader community, beyond those immediately affected by the proposed Qld dams. Keith ___________________________________________________________________ Jean Joss, a long time supporter of ANGFA needs our help. See below. If you get the support of your members to help, that would be awesome. Can the article please be inserted into the next ANGFA News? Hi Damian, I wonder if you could do something for me in your capacity as ANGFA Vic President? You may have caught up on some of the news items concerning Beattie's proposal to dam the Mary River. I am distraught about what this will do to lungfish breeding - you might remember I said a bit about the dam on the Burnett when I saw you last. I am trying to rally support and have successfully managed to get Nature to publish a piece- see attached. New Scientist did a small item this week and I think Science will run a small item next week. Our National Newspapers have not been quite so helpful. Could you put a small piece in the Angfa News for me, please? also attached. This piece only addresses the lungfish issue but the Mary River cod and turtle will also be affected ofcourse and both, like the lungfish, are also listed on the EPBC Act. Beattie is being very gung ho and is getting more so as the pressure increases - at some point he must crack. It needs a real outcry from national as well as international people. Action. Thanks very much for helping with our campaign to save the lungfish from ultimate extinction. Emails to Beattie (premiers@ministerial.qld.gov.au) and Ian Campbell senator.ian.campbell@aph.gov.au) would be marvellous. We have well over 100 individual emails sent already. I am also getting a webpage petition going so that people will just have to sign on the web. I plan to deliver this to both Beattie and Campbell when we have over 1,000 signatures. I'll let you know as soon as it is up. However, a webpage has already been constructed with links to all sorts of information (http://joshrlarsen.googlepages.com) by Josh Larsen, if you would like to check it out - my petition will have links once I get it going - today, perhaps? Cheers Jean ************************************************* Professor Jean M.P. Joss Department of Biological Sciences Macquarie University Sydney, NSW, 2109 Australia

Archived