Ideal Hm Plakat

Leela

Hi ho again all I am considering purchasing a pair of Halfmoon Plakats for breeding. I was just wondering whether any of our resident breeders, or perhaps someone, would be able to tell me what I need to look for to start a high quality line? For example, what are the ideal lines of a HM plakat? Should the anal be very pointed or more curved? Is OHM an undesirable characteristic? Is there a specific category for HM plakats in today's shows or are they grouped into a large plakat class? If this is the case, would a HM plakat be marked harshly against a traditional plakat with the spade shaped tail etc? Does anyone have a picture of the 'ideal' HM plakat shape? Any info is appreciated. As I find plakats that I consider nice, I'll post the links up here so that people might be able to give me some advice. Cheers all O :P

Hi Olivia. I understand that HMPKs and Traditional PKs are judged in separate classes. Trad PKs have a pointed anal and curved edges to the caudal, whereas a HMPK has sharp edges to the caudal and is basically like a HM , only with short fins (oe an oval rather than a circle). Both shoud have long ventrals, at least 1/3 of the length of the fish. That's my take on it all anyway. I'm still on L plates when it comes to PKs.

Archived