Hi from Melbourne!

Kesh88

Hi all, I'm a Kiwi currently living in Melbourne, Australia and I've been keeping betta fish for almost 5 years now. 

It all started for me with little blue veil tail betta I picked up from a small local pet store. I purchased a tiny 9L tank, undergravel heater, gravel, food, water conditioner and a fake plant and went on my way. A few days later I stumbled upon a betta care site and realised the horrific errors I had made! Eventually I set things straight at that little blue betta who I named Keidis lived happily for over 3 years (not long compared to some betta but I don't think it's too bad for my very first!).

Almost 5 years later and I now have 3 tanks (don't have space for much more in my house), I also keep a 75L container pond which is home to a few white cloud mountain minnows and a freshwater mussel.

I currently have 2 x 38L tanks, one home to a blue and red crowntail male betta (Nebula), the other home to what I think is a salamander type dumbo delta tail male betta (Armand) and several red cherry shrimp (the same population I've had for 4 years now). I also have a 68L tank that is currently home to a yabby (no name, I just call it the snippy shrimp) and more red cherry shrimp but I have dreams of having a giant or king betta in there.

All my tanks are heated, filtered (either sponge or HOB) and have live plants. My setups are low tech, I don't use CO2 and only use bottled fertiliser and root tabs for my plants. The lighting is basic LEDs. All my plants are low light/low tech, such as Amazon sword, Cryptocoryne, Anubias and Elodea.

Anyway thanks for letting my join!

• 1 year later...