Hydra

irsacae

I just spotted some hydra in a tank. Only some endlers in there at the moment so not a big issue I am going to empty and clean the tank to get rid of them and then reset the tank for some more wilds.

I vaguely recall reading an artical stating that some dwarf gouramis eat hydra can any one confirm this and if that is the case do any of the bettas? not that I would leave them there to see, to much of a threat for any potential fry.

Hi Infantfish

I recall that honey and dwarf gouramis both eat Hydra. If you remove the endlers, do a general clean and stop feeding the tank for week or so,and the hydra will probably disappear anyway. They really need constant feeding to build up and maintain numbers. I have recently had success wiping them out completely from a cichlid fry tank by dosing with Kusri Plus fish wormer (active ingredient is Flubenzadole ). If you are getting wild bettas, it may be worth waiting and dosing the tank when they arrive (killing two birds with one stone). I have dosed tanks with 3 week old fry, shrimp and miniature cories with no ill effects (unless you count all the snails dying, which was actually a bonus for me)