Cycling & tank size

Sal

I'm really new to bettas. And everywhere I go, I read different opinions on what the minimum tank size is to enable successful cycling.

Both of my tanks are around 3-point-something gallons (12 litres, with the capacity for 13 or 14, but I keep it 12 for accurate - ie, easy - math on additives while I'm figuring things out), with coarse, smooth gravel substrate and a variety of live, truly aquatic plants. One is filtered, one is unfiltered (as that fish really, really hates any flow), and I currently treat both as uncycled tanks, with either 100% WC + total cleanout (unfiltered) or 50% water change + gravel vac (filtered) per week, plus a couple of smaller changes to both tanks (about 20-25%) every couple of days.

If it's humanly possible to cycle the filtered 3.5g tank, I'd like to. I've been told that's a/ totally impossible, b/ possible but very difficult, c/ entirely possible with regular water testing, and d/ quite easily do-able, if it's a NPT.

Any advice as to which is the most accurate of those would be gratefully received. Larger tanks are simply not an option right now.

Thanks for the reply - and yes, I have tried cycling the filtered tank. I did pretty frequent, small water changes and tested for ammonia a lot - it was sitting between 0 and 0.25, most recently. But as I haven't yet got a reliable test kit for nitrates and nitrites, etc., I'm a bit nervous about spikes occurring that I can't monitor.

I intend to scrub the filtered tank out while Sid's in the hosp. tank, and start again. I may keep him in it until his tank has cycled properly - it's not so scary if he's not -in- there while it's in the process, and I should have a test kit before it finishes,

Good idea? Or.. no?

I can't put a filter on the other tank as Demyx freaks out at any water flow at all - and I'd need a filter to cycle that tank, right?

How long did you try for? Levels that low for short periods shouldnt do permanent damage.

You could try a sponge filter, they arn't conducive to growing plants but have hardly and flow. I wouldn't scrub the tank out, there will be bacteria growing on all the surfaces that will speed a cycle up, there may even be enough growing in there for it to already be cycled.

It'll have been running on 50% changes + gravel vac + 2x 20% changes per week for about... two weeks now. I scrubbed it after the ich treatment finished.

I had to take the heater out to warm the smaller hospital tank - would that affect the bacteria? I'm also worried that there might be lingering ich/fin rot stuff in there - is it better to do a full cleanout when there's been illness like that in the tank (the ich is 100% gone, and no sign of it returning), or should I just leave it and pop the heater back in when his fins clear up?

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers, I spent most of last night reading the library section here, as well as a pile of threads on tanks (Matt, your nanotanks rock btw) and cycling, etc.

I couldn't find anything really specific about what effect removing the heater the would do to the bacteria, though? I think I just really need more heaters, lol.

I'm re-designing the filtered tank maybe tomorrow, with some driftwood pieces I've had soaking a while. I won't scrub it. The natural tanks posted here are such an inspiration, and it's not scary with all this information at hand. I'm really looking forward to trying out one with a soil substrate one of these days.

Edited by Sal

Thanks for that. The tank hasn't any fish in it, currently, as my betta's in a treatment tank for fin rot, which is why his regular tank has no heater (I don't have a spare).

Much appreciated, everyone.