What to add?

Chasing Sanity

I've got a 4 foot tank with a very healthy population of Platies, but I'm looking for some others just to add a bit of variety. I had a Pearl Gourami and a Kissing Gourami, but they just weren't rough and tough enough to compete for food with the Platies. I've been looking at Angel fish, or Electric Yellow Cichlids. I'm after something that will help keep the Platy population down (heavily planted tank so will always have some babies) and keep the snail population down but I know that no fish lives on snails alone. I'm after some colour really.

Electric yellows are African rift lake cichlids - while they would be tough enough to compete with the platies - they need completely different water conditions to thrive...

Try a nice looking American cichlid instead - some baby jaguars or similar - firemouths if you want something smaller and less aggressive - you could even try some mouthbrooding wild type Bettas such as patoti (they'll definitely hunt down baby platies)....

generally, the electric yellow prefers hard water at about pH8.0 + ..... they also prefer temps over 26o C.....

Platies prefer softer water at a ph6.0 up to high 7's.... they also prefer colder water up to about 26o C....

Both can handle a small amount of salt (more so the platies)....

Given that a well stocked tank of platies also drops a lot of wastes into a tank and if it is kept at a pH8.0 to suit both species there is a higher chance of having ammonia problems due to the wastes and high pH.... a bit of a balancing act although the platies will slowly adapt to the more extreme requirements of the electric yellows, the natural aggression of the mbuna won't give the platies a peaceful tank to live in.... whatever is chosen the fish have no say in it I guess :)

• 3 weeks later...