Just a question...or two

Went to a friends the other day and was looking at their tank when I noticed the planted carpet seemed to be dwarf baby tears (garden variety). Friend confirmed they had been dug from the garden and planted about 6 months ago and certainly seem to be doing well, but... I was under the impression that there are actually aquatic and non-aquatic varieties of this plant. Did I make a mistake or is this beautiful carpet soon to go into meltdown? Second question!! Has anyone had success transplanting our native river hairgrass to a tropical tank? Jo :confused:

dwarf baby tears as in hemianthus callitrichoides (HC)?

HC can be grown in both the emersed state and submerged state. it's actually quicker to grow a number of plants via the emersed state route. however, most people want to add fish to the tank, so they flood the tank. when you flood the tank, the gas exchange, CO2, for the emersed grown plants is greatly altered, so one needs to compensate the sudden loss of CO2 by adding it to the water, otherwise your plants will melt. you can gradually decrease the amount of CO2 over a period of time. You can also grow moss, anubias, crypts, hair-grass, swords, etc., in the emersed state but when you flood the tank you need to pump CO2 in there as well to compensate for the sudden loss.

regarding your second question, have a look at Aquagreen. they've managed to transplant two native hair-grasses, though it does tend to be longer than the 'dwarf' hair-grass that is usually seen in aquascapes.

Edited by holycow

• 3 months later...

I thought baby tears that grows in the gardens is Soleirolia soleirolii and it is not hemianthus callitrichoides

Baby tears is often sold in aquarium shops and pet shops and has been around a long time under the common name baby tears I beleive it has a limited lifespan in an aquarium? and it generally can be purchased at cheaper prices than hemianthus callitrichoides brings

Also I was under the impression that HC has only been on the australian market for a few years?

I am guessing it will grow a limited amount before dying as it doesnt mind being damp but I could be wrong

I have some baby tears out the front door might chuck it in with some moss I am trialling

with the hair grass give it a try the thing to be aware of is some plants found are not always submerged full time so getting them to take can be dificult but well worth the try

Ray