Will these go together ok?

Chasing Sanity

It's been a long time since I've been here! Just getting back into fish keeping (got distracted by chickens) and in my new tank (64.5cm wide x 35 deep x 38 high) and this is my stocking plan

guppies or platies (not sure which yet depends on the others)

pearl danios

checker barbs

glass shrimp

how many of each could i have? Will they be ok together? The danios, barbs and shrimp are must have, so i don't know whether to get another schooling fish or to get a more 'centre piece' fish?

The glass shrimp could become food for the fish.....

Danios and barbs together in a fair size group (8 - 12) should be ok but the barbs will probably terrorise the guppies or platies if you get them as well.... barbs and danios tend to behave better in groups rather than small numbers (and look good in groups too)....

For a 2ft tank I would probably just go with the danios and barbs - about 10 of each - with a decent HOB filter perhaps.... you'll certainly get plenty of movement and colour from them... there's a lot of other barbs you could mix in with the group to give some colour - albino tiger barbs, moss green's, etc.....

Cory's are a good idea for a clean up crew.... 8 danios, 8 barbs and 5 cory's (cory's love being in groups of 4 or 5) would be about capacity for your size tank.... you could stretch to 10 each of the danios and barbs if you make sure to over filter the water for the size tank.... something like a 500 - 600l/hr filter would do the job nicely (would be lots less flow per hour with filter media in the filter) so you can turn over the water at least 3-4 times per hour roughly.... a HOB filter won't make too much water flow and is very easy to clean and maintain.....

If you want shrimp you could still have them with some moss in a nano type tank or bowl....

With that sort of filtration you shouldn't have any probs at all!!!

Don't forget the dangers of adding all those fish at once - could cause a big spike in ammonia..... probably best to add one group at a time over a few weeks to let the bacteria build up .... just monitor and do extra water changes (and have toxivec or prime or similar on hand) if you just have to have all of them at once though :)

Don't forget the pics when you have the tank set up and the fish in there!

Usually they refer to the number of trays within the canister.... 1. mechanical filtration... 2. biological filtration.... 3 chemical filtration....

In other words you can put sponges in to take out debris.... bioballs or ceramic rings with huge surface areas to grow beneficial bacteria.... carbon, zeolite or other absorbants to take out chemicals such as ammonia, medications, copper, etc....

The trays in a canister are usually deep enough that if you have only 2 you can lay a thinner sponge at the bottom and the top and still put in some of the other things... 3 or 4 trays just means they are all nicely separated....

Unless you have a particularly dirty tank or one that produces lots of debris such as decaying plants and lots of fish poo just a decent sponge will take most of this out and also give you a lot of bio filtration due to the surface area in the sponge.... carbon is used by some as a chemical filter but remember it only lasts a month or so and then starts putting nasties back into your water so it needs to be changed out regularly.... its not an absolute necessity....

With the canister filter you're planning on using you could go 5 each of the pearl, leopard, zebra and gold zebra danios plus the 5 corys....

or maybe 4 of each danio and a pair of sparkling gouramis.....

Don't forget to check out the longfin versions of the danios... they are really nice fish compared to the short finned ones....

ordered my filter and siliconed my air line in today! Went rock hunting at the beach yesterday and got a bucketfull of awesome rocks. So i'm on the way to fishies!

I love the long finned danios, are they fin nippers? I'm getting my fish from livefish and think i'll get just get 20 assorted danios. Choosing is too hard!! Plus my 5 cories and I'm set. Just gotta pay my rego and by then my tank will be sorted and cycled so i can get fish!

My tank is up and running! Hurrah! Just needs some driftwood and fish. I also remembered don't take pics in front of your fish tank if you're only wearing a sports bra!

Full tank (under the rocks on the right hides a flexi bubble wall. Just not turned on)

fish1003.jpg

Bristle-nose cave

fish1004.jpg

After all this discussion with Wayne, I've decided to fill it with platies, because I just love them :)

Edited by Chasing Sanity