My Sunday Suprise

bettasbest

Hello All!

I thought i would share my news yesterday my female guppy was looking vvery plump so i decided to move her into a breeding net, the net is a good size and i added some java moss for the possible babies. This morning i got up and checked on her and i have babies! she looked a bit frantic in their with the babies so i moved her into the main tank area.

There are my first lot of baby guppies and so tiny and cute! :D I straight away crushed up some of the flake food i give to all my tropical fish, is there anything else i should do? I was planning on leaving them in the breeding net till that got a bit bigger as not to be considered food!

This is my one bit of good news as of late so very happy after losing my male platy to culminaris a week ago and danios and 6 yr old black widow tetra to a mystery illness 3 days ago :(

I have counted 10 babies but they are so hard to count! all swimming around 2 little black darting eyes on clear body :bighug:

The little babies on their birthday! :)

image003-2.jpg

The proud mummy and daddy :) (sorry was hard to get pics of them) (also my baby platy :))

The gold part in the females tail actually looked blue when i first got her - do guppies change colour or would this be due to lighting?

image008-2.jpg

image009-2.jpg

This pic is blurry i know but i love how the blur makes the colours appear so wanted to share!

image007-3.jpg

I bought some guppy fry powder today when i went to the aquarium as well :)

Hi Bettasbest.

congratulations on your parenthood. I got a female & a male guppy when I bought a bag of betta females & after being pestered to death I removed the male when the female was so fat she could hardly move to get away from her amorous mate & had 36 babies the next day. I removed her when I saw her eating them & now have 32 babies that are growing really well in their own tank. I'm feeding them Vipagran Baby that I bought in anticipation of our betta babies. I counted them as I changed the water in their bowl by lifting them out with a white plastic spoon.

I think our betta males need a lesson from the male guppy they all hide in the weed when a female is put in the breeding tank with them & don't blow bubbles until they're alone back in their own tank. On the other hand I think my poor female guppy is pregnant again since I put the pair back together again.

I was thinking of keeping the babies as live food for my bettas & when it died I put it in the tank & it disappeared so fast.

Thanks Des :)

I know what you mean my male vt was always blowing bubble nests a new one each time i changed his water but when i moved him into a bigger tank and had her floating in with him and he flared and did his little dance lol he must have been too in love to leave her to build the nest <_<

Nooo :0 i could never feed them to my bettas! You are keeping your babies in a bowl? any filtration?

Well guppy females dont need a male they can store the males sperm for a few months and keep getting pregnant on their own.

When what died you put it in which tank and how did it dissapear? sorry i didn't understand what you mean here.

:D Hi Bettasbest

My baby guppies were in a bowl with some floating weed & I'd put in an aerator every now & again but at the last change I put them into a 8 ltr plastic tank which has a sponge filter in it & some artificial & live weed.

Sorry I was a bit vague. I was thinking ahead of what I was typing. When I was changing the water on of the babies flipped out of the bowl & died because I didn't get it in time. It was the dead one that I fed to the fish.

I didn't know about female guppies. This is the first time I've ever had any. I've kept salt water fish before. The only reason I went to bettas was because they had some up the markets here & they were a lot cheaper than salt water fish.

Have a great day :cheer:

If only I could. I'm not up on all this high technology. I've only just started putting things in the forum. I'd need detailed, 1 + 1 = 2 type instructions. One day I might give it a go when my son's around to point me in the right direction.

Nice that you have some GOOD news Bettasbest, you've had a rough trot. You're right, the fry ARE cute and they grow SO fast too, make sure to take pics ever couple of days...

I came home from work and discovered guppy babies a month or so ago, it was a nice surprise. I had some dramas with my fry net and gave up after trying to keep them separated for about 2 weeks. They've survived in the community tank just fine :) There've been another 2 deliveries since then and I've not even bothered to net them. The fry have lots of hiding places, their favorite seems to be a big clump of Lace fern.

Hope you get some nice colours out of them.

Cheers!

Tracey

How exciting! I can share your joy as my Balloon Mollie just gave birth a few days ago. They are just in the tank with Mum and Dad and have lots of hiding spots. I can't believe how quickly they grow! You just have to share those progress photos and I'll do the same.

I'm finding it increasingly harder to drag myself away from the fish tanks just watching their wonderful little worlds.

Hi fishfin! yes definitely cool to watch! i think i have commented on your post already :lol: i also started off with like 10 babies i think i have lost 2 so 8 now, i guess this is normal?

Edited by bettasbest