Sign in to follow this  
kandeecane

Planting A Spawn Tank...

I understand Elodea and Java Moss are great in a spawn tank... What other plants?

And how would you plant them? Use the terracotta pots or just let them float?

the plants in my spawn tank are water sprite and java moss. Both I just let them float around in the tank, coz from my understanding that you can't have substrate in the tank coz the fry my get stuck and die in the gaps. So I used plants that don't need substrates.

Heh. Thanks. :(

I was just thinking that most my plants head for the surface (Apart from java moss, I suppose) so if they're all at the surface they could wreck the spawn attempt.... And won't provide good hiding spots.

The males seem to like making nests amongst the plants, and use them to help protect/support the bubble nest... so actually better with floating plants. The females tend to be able to hide from view in amongst the densest part of the plant matter. Putting pots and substrate seems to create a bit of hassal that you don't want to deal with.....how can I put this........ having a smooth bottom makes cleaning easier?!?!?! LOL

So are you planning a spawn soon????

you can get (or make yourself) some really nice planted bits of driftwood - these can give good hiding places for the females.... easy to remove or clean around.... usually they are planted with mosses, java ferns and anubias which will tolerate low light conditions easily.... and they look great too!

Re the sponge filters .... ask someone - she probably sells them but if she doesn't try Age of Aquariums - AoA and someone would post a small sponge to you too if you asked.... someone also sells some fantastic plants and driftwoods and could possibly even have some of the planted terracotta pots too....

I always use water sprite and java moss and often find that the males may build their bubblenest under one of the Watersprite leaves.....

I always just used java moss and whatever floating plants that I had at the time. I also have found that my elodea doesn't do so well long term in a heated tank :D

and the bare bottomed tanks are ideal for the male to pick the eggs up properly, as well as the fry being able to find food that finds its way to the tank floor

I use stem plants like Ambulia (sp?) and just weigh the 'bottom' stems down with a rock or log or something. Then I trim out the crappier parts when I need to make more space, and weigh down the good bits, ad infinitum. :D

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

Anyone know of a good store that sells alot of plants in the Brisbane area other than someone Lea?

there are different mosses other than java moss you know. you can try peacock moss? flame moss? taiwan moss? just tie them to a rock or some wood. they look nicer than java moss.

Simon

Sign in to follow this