Sign in to follow this  
Phil

My new DR Red CT

Just after some opinions on this fella. I have found it really hard to photograph him, he moves too fast and i was using the wrong lighting. But if i get better ones, i can update later on. So here is is:

This pic is without flash:

Posted Image

This pic is with flash (and picks up irridecnece that isnt there):

Posted Image

Thanks guys :goodo: :fish:

Even though I dont like reds, my first impression of this red ct is that he is nice and flashy :) critique: caudal spread is nice and wide, dorsal fin is also quite full, but could be fuller. he also has 1 short ray at the beginning of the dorsal. the anal fin is nice and even across the entire length of the fin. the ventrals arent very visible in the pics, but they seem to have a good shape and nice crowining. he has some big pectoral fins :fish: there are rays in the caudal and anal fin that are bent or broken slightly. but otherwise the rays are quite strong. it may just be the photo, but his dorsal rays seem curled. the crowning is very even, about 1/2 of the fin is crowned, which in my oppinion is a perfect amount. without flash, the color of this CT is very deep/bright red. :goodo: but the flash reveals that he does have some blue iridescence on his scales and at the base of the caudal fin. I cant see it clearly in the pic, but do some scales have red edging? the body shape to me isnt perfect, but every one has a different oppinion of what perfect body shape is :) I cant see any irregularities and bumps in the photo, but for me the slope from his dorsal to his head is too sudden. over all, he is a nice fish. :) :)

Thanks Stefan, The flash picks up irridecence that isnt really visiable IRL, do you mean some scales have black edging? I know you are very perticular about the bit above the head, although i love the 'snake face' curve :goodo:

Yep, I meant black edging, I was in a hurry to type the message :blush: I think, now that i look at him again, that the black could just be some shadow between the scales. and the iridescence looks purple, not blue, so it might just be the extra irid that most bettas have anyway :) do you have breeding plans for this boy? did he come with a girlfriend?

Yep stefan, i do have plans. I do have a perfect red female (exactly the same as him) aswell so i am looking forward to some deep red fry :blush:

Posted Image

NICE!

Quite a few broken rays, and the dorsal could be a bit more substantial, but he is really spiffy! I LOVE the red pectorals.

Not too fussed on the black tips on the anal fin.

Hi Phil, l am guessing that this guy was imported which could explain the bent and broken rays, it would be almost impossible to stop this from happening in transit with the deterioration of the water quality and then the medication in quarantine would have a detrimental effect on the rays. The bent rays aside he has very even raying a strong point in his favour and good caudal spread, it is hard to tell from the photo's about the irredescence but there appears to be some along the lateral line plus a fair amount of black edging in the body scales which in S.E Asia they would work on to reduce. Overall l think this is a very nice CT and if you have a spawn sister well worth persuing as he is quite a specky boy. Steve. :blush:

Edited by BettaBred

Yes, this guy was imported, from Straits i believe. As far as i know he has been at Gavins for a month or more, till he had a $10 sale :goodo:

His pectorials are really beautiful, i just love this fish. His female is exactly the same colour, its so intense!

Posted Image

Sign in to follow this