Sign in to follow this  
Callatya

Pet Shop Cheapie

Not my fish, I wish i'd not shown it to her though, cause it might be :goodo: $9

I'm going to get a spawn from it later on.

I am unhappy with the black in the colour, what do you think?

Posted Image

WHOA, very nice CT there Abs :fish: Haven't seen a proper (1/3 crowning) CT in a LFS in ages. can't see many faults except the irrid. Can't see the black u mentioned, apart from on the side of the body, slighty to the front. Otherwise, a very cheap yet GORGEOUS boy (and I don't even like reds :goodo: )

He is pretty awesome, his name is Randy :) About the 4th 'bunch' of crowning, he has one single extra split on the top of one ray, butit is clear, so its not that noticable :) The black is just sort of smudgy, its not blackblack, its just a bit of a dirty red. Smutting? :goodo: can we use that term for fish? :fish: Dorsal would be nicer if it was a little fuller, but its not too bad really, and its at least close to the coreect length :)

OMG Where did you get that from!!!!! Funny, i got my extended red Ct pair from gavin thismoring :goodo:

:blush: Great fish for $9!! A couple of the rays on his anal look slightly shorter than the others.. ummm.. *tries hard but can't get over the price*.. for $9 hes fantabulous!!

Oh my! What a stunner! You could breed him with a cambo to try and get the black and irrids out. But you want to get the red to go right down to the tips of them fins, unless it is BF gene. I doubt it though.

At $9 whats there not to like. Trick now is to get the best possible girl for him and try and get some of the irridescence and black out of the body. Steve.

He's an identical colour to my red petshop boy. At $8 he has only one set of branching (the extra must be worth another $1) but lovely big pillowy bits between and he can cover his whole half foot of tank with a bubblenest in half a day. I always joke that he's on steroids since he's so agro all the time. He does stand out beside his mates with their maroon and purple tonings. His bold red is a lot more eye-catching.

That'd definately work, but I was keen to utilise the butterfly genes so after I took your fellow out, I put Kulap the little maroon butterfly back in (my $16 petshop cheapie) and he went mad (it's this muggy weather) and they both built a giant nest and filled it full of eggs! She's still enormous, but I treated her for worms in a separate one litre container, and that doesn't seem to be the problem or constipation. She's just fat. Your boy's a little fat too so they both need to slim down a bit... all that non-breeding while eating like a breeder can stack it on apparently. But sorry, back to the gorgeous red fish above, great find. I've never seen one with that much branching at a petshop.

Trick now is to get the best possible girl for him and try and get some of the irridescence and black out of the body.

or maybe try him with a metallic female (eg one of edie's gold CTs) and try for a red-gold line, rather tha a non-iridescent one? Then again, you know how it is with me and metallics, LOL!

That sounds great Robbie :) although, how does pastel red sound? would that be pink LOL

I don't think you can get metalic red, you can get red with platinum or gold sheen over the red but not a true metalic red, it's got to do with the layers of colour on the original wild type splenden. Another few decades of inbreeding could do it, maybe coppers are the way to go because they already have a light pinkish/ greenish sheen to some and I believe that coppers have something to do with red fish anyway. But I quite like the hyper red fish comming out now, they almost glow, better then the bland maroney red with black bits. I wouldn't call this a pet shop cheepie, this is a pet shop bargain. Fish like this sell for over 2-3x that price and it would still be concidered a fair buy. I got a red CT for $14.50 and I was really happy with the quality. I bred mine with one of Lisa's marble DT CT females and so far so good. (I don't know what you feed them lisa but all the femles I have from you are always jam packed with eggs. Sometimes I even see them swimming along with an egg trail falling out the back LOL. The tetras love it!!!)

Sign in to follow this