bettasbest

Melano Gene

Could someone please explain what this is to me?

I have heard it mentioned in other posts.

Thank you :ph34r:

Joep's website (linked to above) is probably one of the better pages in regards to understanding betta genetics... if you can get your head around the info there, you'll be a pro in no-time, LOL!

Simply put, melano is a gene which increases the black pigment. It's recessive, so in order to show through the fish needs to have one "dose" of the gene from each parent. Problem is that melano females are sterile, but, they can be heterozygote (carry only one copy of the gene) and remain fertile. These fish are referred to as "melano-geno" so can be used to breed with.

Predicted outcomes:

melano(male) x melano(female) => no fish (female infertile)

melano(male) x melano-geno(fem) => 50% melano (females will be infertile), 50% melano-geno (fertile)

melano(male) x non-melano(fem) => 100% melano-geno (fertile)

melano-geno(male) x melano-geno(fem) => 25% non-melano, 25% melano (females infertile), 50% melano-geno (fertile)

melano-geno(male or fem) x non-melano(male or fem) => 50% non-melano, 50% melano-geno (fertile)

Remember melano is recessive, so melano-geno fish will look exactly like non-melano fish. So, for breeding purposes, the only way to guarantee melano-geno female is to cross melano male with non-melano female (otherwise they all look the same).

Additional note: if your spawn is melano(male) x melano-geno(female) the fish which are not melano in appearance will be 100% melano-geno and hence fertile (another way of getting guaranteed melano-geno fish).

Thanks for the link Thratt!

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the explanation it was clear/precise and helped with exactly what i wanted to know! :)