Sign in to follow this  
Mango4Jade

AusPost and Live Fish

Ok, I got a call from the Investigation of AusPost today and they told me that sending live fish over the post isnt allowed. Guess, I will have to change my ways of sending my livestock. Anyone got suggestions of places that allow live fish? Regards Mango

Its always been illegal to send fish through the mail. I personally dont like revieing them that way, and wouldnt send them like that, although many people do it without any problems. I have heard some people say its ok through express post, but i dont think it is, as you would of found out Mango, you are lucky they didnt fine you! Fastways couriers are usually good for the job, all of my parcels through them have turned up perfectl fine. Their main problem is you have to buy an upfront book of labels that will set you back quite abit.

Phil, with the book of labels (I think it's 20, isn't it?) can you go several ways with different people to buy a book or does it all have to be under the one name? Just incase I need to ship fish in the future :cheer: I received some fish through Express Post, they were sent on a Thursday and they got stuck in a post office over the weekend, luckily they were still alive when I got them, sadly one male was never the same. I wouldn't risk it with my own fish, personally

Best off asking someone who has bought them Em, i know lisa has. I think its 20, so you are looking at around $400 i think. I also think that they are bought from a local franchise so you have to send them from a certain area. But, someone who has them can clear that up.

Just had a quick look on the Fastway site and east coast delievery (aka Canberra to Sunshine Coast & Melbourne city) have booklets of 20 @ about $9.00 each or books of 10 can be bought for $10.95 each. Wider zoned tickets can be bought in books of 5 at a high rate of course. Incase anyone was wondering

Just had a quick look on the Fastway site and east coast delievery (aka Canberra to Sunshine Coast & Melbourne city) have booklets of 20 @ about $9.00 each or books of 10 can be bought for $10.95 each. Wider zoned tickets can be bought in books of 5 at a high rate of course.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Repeatedly bangs head on computer screen*

why cant the tickets be sold in smaller booklets? :cheer:

actually, my uncle used to be a head manager of Fastway, so maybe he can get me them with a better deal or something?

That'd be because the box you sent me disintegrated :cheer: It arrived soaking wet inside a parcel box marked "LIVE FISH" and "THIS SIDE UP" all over it. I had my fingers crossed they would ignore it, but maybe it damaged some other mail and they had to say something :cheer: Fstway is the best way, maybe see if you can purchase a book of tickets between a few of you, or see if your fastway guy (its franchised) will do you one-off deliveries? maybe send through work?

My fastways will happily do one-offs. I can not remember how much more it costs as I now always buy in booklets. But when I first started out and I was unsure if anyone would want my fish I used one-offs. Najina

It was because of my fish. The box broke open and leaked everywhere in the mail. It's the second shipping incident I've had in a week and the posties were a little unhappy about it, to say the least. The lady who opened the box was even more stressed out than the fish! She got Mango's details off the label on the box so it could be investigated. - Veronica

Dont worry mango, Lisa can teach you her fancy way of doing fish bags up properly :cheer:

Phil, actually I do know how...but I told my cousin to pack them and send them for me >.< But, either way, I now know sending livestock throught auspost is not good.

Thanks Lisa, I was wondering about the legality of sending fish by aus post after reading on another forum that it's done.

Sign in to follow this