Sign in to follow this  
hobbygodz

Lead in the aquarium

Hello forum members. I have lead in some of my tanks to weight plants down. The water is salted at 1 teaspoon per 10 liters and as such, I suspect, would be slightly corrosive. My question is - Does this lead present a danger to my fish, (and what would I use in place of lead for this purpose)? I do not use a substrate in my tanks and they are vacuumed regularly.

Cheers and thank-you for your assistance with my enquiry, Brad.

ive just made a post regarding this problem with lead. RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!

its evil and id move it as soon as possible.

Its cost me roughly $70.00 in neon tetra so far.

Use rocks or something naturally occuring in the wild to weigh down plants.

I think lead is pretty inert, and I don't think it corrodes. But I wouldn't put it in a tank if there are alternatives.

I've used lead fishing sinkers to weight down plants before & never had a problem. I still have some in the tank with my breeding BN & they don't seem to have caused any issues.

I supose it all comes down to the types of fish you have in the tank. Neon tetra aent the hardiest of specie but then again bristlnose are invincible.

I doubt that one teaspoon of salt per 10 litres is really going to cause an issue with the lead. The thing I don't like about those lead ties that comes with plants you buy is that stem plants tend to rot if their stems are that close together. How about planting the plants in small containers that you move around and vacuum around. That way the plants get the benefit of having a substrate while you get the benefit of an effectively bare bottomed tank.

That is a nifty suggestion Razzi. I may try that with a couple of the largest ferns. I also posted this question on the killifish forum for clues, as these are the type of fish in the "lead loaded" tanks. One suggestion there was to wrap the roots around a rock and tie them on to it with cotton, bloke said he wouldn't even use fishing line in the tank! -Brad.

The only reason I would not use fishing line in the tank is that fishing line sort of lasts forever and by friction could eventually slice through the roots of the plant

Ok, still learning. The cotton will eventually rot away whereas the nylon will last almost forever, thanks MelbBill. -Brad.

Sign in to follow this