littleangel

female ready- but no bubble nest

may be a stupid question.

but how often do males make nests?

my female is ready to go.

barring full of eggs and doing her dance for him (when i show them to each other)

she is also slowly releasing eggs - i figure she knows she is getting too full.

i have been feeding them both brine shrimp and bloodworm for about a week.

even though he seems interested - he wont make a nest. - any ideas?

because she is a typical female and is getting fed up and building her own!!!

Sounds like you're keeping them separate??? Usually they need to be in constant view of each other, but separated so that it's look but no touch until they're ready.

Have you given him somewhere to build the nest...bubblewrap/foam cup/plastic container lid? And is the lighting low, and the music set to Barry White?

Mind, like people, some fish don't feel the need to make the bed before hand.

how do you have the tank set up - is there something for him to build a nest under???

And as Paul said - sometimes males might not make nest until they are actually in the act ...

but yeah a bit more info could give us a better idea on 'why' he isn't building one...

i have them in a slplit tank at the moment and have just been removing the card for about 20 or so a few times a day.

i was waiting for him to start with some bubbles before moving them both into the spawning tank.

and no i dont have anything in his current tank for his nest.

i just assumed i should wait for him to start making a nest before moving them both.

would you guys suggest moving them into the spawning tank (her in her special holder in there)

Sounds like they're well conditioned, so I would give it a go. Place them in the spawning tank with her in a "hurricane jar" or equivalent and keep them in constant view of one another. He might need some guidance for nest building, so bubble wrap is a good idea (I sometimes think that the fish feel it's an instant bubble nest). You can use a foam cup or lid etc, it comes down to personal choice, and, the fishes preferred media.

Things believed to have helped others have more success with spawning: rainy weather/thunder storms and spawning at the time of a full moon.

I wouldn't stress. Most of my fellas had no bubblenest (or a poor excuse for one), but that certainly never stopped them from spawning. They just made it up as they went along.

so far no luck....

i swear she looks skinnier though - but i cant see anything in the nest and hes not being territorial....

im thinking they might have done little somethings!!!

should i take them out again and wait for her to be full again?

if so any idea how long this might take?

(i know i sound impatient - BUT I AM)

lol i want babies!!!

I'd put her back in a hurricane jar and leave her in with him. My marble female can spawn one day and be quite full of eggs again the next.