fish died...boo, brand new fish...YAY

paul

So, of course, the saga continues. I got back from Bathurst today as it's my weekend off (YAY, but working monday BOO) to check on this guy's progress. I find that my oldest fish, a little girl I've owned for about 2.5yrs is dead... dunno why, dunno what's going on.. but it's a worry. Mr Portokalos is fine (orange guy) and copper boy (yet to find a suitable name) looks healthy except for his tail is missing a sizeable chunk... it's almost like someones taken an adult human sized bight out of his lovely tail... maybe he HAS been nibbling at it. The IAL & melafix have probably prevented infection and his fins don't look shredded any more as I've removed the plastic plant. Whaddya do from here????

His neighbour, a female named Plain Jane (in the pics above), is looking like she might be on her last legs too. She used to be massive, but now (although still active and eating well) she's looking severely malnourished... very thin with her head looking too big for her skinny body and absolutely no belly... she looks like the freakier of the two Olsen twins. She almost appears to have her fins clamped at times, but not really, and there's no velvety coating on her. She swims about OK, but somehow looks awkward/unsteady, almost drunk, getting pushed around by the filter current. I don't think she'll make it more than a couple days. I've moved her to a less turbulent barrack so she can rest.

As you can tell, I'm not really enjoying being away for such long periods, but, I hope these boys stay healthy so I can give breeding a go when I'm back home. C'mon July 17!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by paul

Sorry for yet another loss. *lol*

To my uneducated mind he sounds stressed and is taking it out on his fins. Have you got another tank he can be kept in by himself for a while to see if he recovers? (I'd name him Sparkle Bum or Fairy Dust, just 'cause he's shiny and I like to humiliate my pets...)

Sounds like it's just a bad time for fish, with you losing one, one not doing too well and I lost one to dropsy yesterday. Hope they heal up for you!