My New Halfmoon

BettaBetta

Hi all, I have no idea what I have here being a brand new owner (was too excited to ask as I rushed out of the shop). I believe he's a halfmoon tail but no idea what colour/type etc.

I bought him because he looked divine & I've never seen so much glorious finnage that the crappy photos just don't do justice to - I couldn't get him to flare. In the tank his LARGE body looks jet black and his fins appear a transparent orangey/brown. Please hit me with his faults & attributes and proper colour etc ... many thanks

AJodi16-3-10-1.jpg

AJodi16-3-10.jpg

Edited by BettaBetta

Lilli, thanks for confirming the mustard gas part for me at least :lol: I'm sooo disappointed, I can't get him to flare at all .... he just cruises around almost like he's singing "Doobie, doobie, dooooo", absolutely nothing fazes him. He either naps on top of the filter, or else sits in the corner about 2 feet away from my head & watches me for endless hours, skips off for a play or gulp & immediately resumes his position watching me. I put 2 x tiny albino suckers & a large snail in with him today and he actually made friends with them and hasn't given them a spot of bother, nor they him. LOL he's a "Clayton's Fighter".

Smiles, Lilli, I've shown him a mirror, the OTHER 4 boys and nothing, just doddles off to play in the filter bubbles, check & double check for missed food, watch mum or sniff the snail. I just turned to give him my hourly g'day & couldn't believe my eyes ... there he is, napping on top of the filter, curled up with his new buddy whom he was only intro'd to a couple of hours ago nestled deep into his finnage, the albino sucker. Well, I flew off to get my magnifying glass to check said feral fish was not sucking on his fins ... nope, just sleeping together, happy as little peas in a pod ... here's proof positive I have a "Claytons Killer" ... I had to get both of these suckers out of 3 other Betta tanks this arvo because they were all going to tear them gill from gill, but not this boy :lol: Sorry about the double exposure, t'was in a corner but you can clearly see the albino buried head first nestling deep within his copious fins ... NOW you see why I can get no flaring ...

AJodisleepingbuddies16-3-10.jpg

Edited by BettaBetta

Hehe! Have you shown him a mirror?

Gaargh, I concede defeat, I'll never get this fish to flare ... here he is playing "Happy Families", I swear he thinks he's Pappa Bear and it's his job to nurture the clan. Either he or the albino just slide in next to whichever one is on the filter and snuggle, no fuss, no drama. My fish will be the laughing stock of BettaLand!

Lilli, I think this entire post should be moved to the general photo section seeing as how he can't be critiqued ...

HappyFamilies16-3-10.jpg

Give him some more time to settle in, it's usually taken a few days before my boys established the tank as their 'territory' and saw fit to defend it through big, scary flaring. B)

Yan, this fish :)defend, scary, :) surely you jest .... nah, he's a pussy who just purrs! He's been in his tank & loving it for 4 nights and every one of those nights he's slept atop the filter. However, tonight he's come down to the substrate & is sleeping next to the suckers, they're all lined up like little bleedin' dicky birds. I never would've believed that Bettas could have such a vast array of individual personalities, from being finger nipping Piranahs to sweeter than sweet Pussies! Hehehe now he's helping the snail clean the Ketapang leaf on the bottom, damn that's cute - I thought those leaves were supposed to float? Mine sink after a couple of days :lol:

I have a question about the substrate you're using, the black sand thingy. I was told that lowers the overall pH of the water and is not good for the fishes. Have you being using that substrate for long? If so in your experience does it do that? Just curious...

I have a question about the substrate you're using, the black sand thingy. I was told that lowers the overall pH of the water and is not good for the fishes. Have you being using that substrate for long? If so in your experience does it do that? Just curious...

Hi Joan, I'm only an absolute newbie so know diddly squat about much at all - the substrate is crushed & tumbled glass (no sharp edges & not the least bit scratchy) so I doubt it will be lowering/increasing anything as I imagine it's quite inert. I got it specifically to compliment my black Fluval Edge aquarium & have put it in all the others too as I love it so much. I got my substrate at Annerley Aquariums Coorparoo Qld (haven't seen it anywhere else). It comes in jet black, dark'ish' blue or aqua and was $15 for 5 kilos.

"big flappy side steering fins", just the sorta thing I'd say :lol:

Edited by BettaBetta

Your fish looks great.. I also think its great that he's so passive! He might make a great dad to many spawns. Once you get into it, you might want to find him a nice girly fish and see if you can get to breeding.

Joan, there are a couple of products that you can use as a black substrate if you look around. There are painted pebbles (inert), crushed glass as in this thread (also should be inert) and another substrate that is small black grit that I also saw at the LFS. The guy there said the same thing...drops the pH. I don't know if this would be a huge problem for betta as they can tolerate slightly lower pH. I guess it depends on how much it drops to and how quickly...it's also more expensive than other substrates.

PS. I've got black painted pebbles and I reckon it looks great, but lighter substrate reflects more light and makes darker coloured fish stand out more. Lighter coloured fish look good in darker backgrounds.

Your fish looks great.. I also think its great that he's so passive! He might make a great dad to many spawns. Once you get into it, you might want to find him a nice girly fish and see if you can get to breeding.

Thanks Paul, I've shown horses & dogs all my life, but to fall so heavily in lerve with a fish - I've gone soft in the ruddy head mate!!! Insert wicked grin, am looking at converting masses of rooms under a high set Queenslander to various fishie rooms, bought an ugly old 50L tank for brine shrimp breeding .... what I need now is a knowledeable fanatic who lives very locally, has the wherewithall but not the room ... I can feel a career change comin' on :dance:

re the substrate, you guys may be thinking of the Amazonia-type plant growing substrates. I understood that sand would increase alkalinity, not acidity, as it would presumably have some shells etc in it... I could be making assumptions though. Anyway, crushed glass would be quite inert.

Also, most fish (and shrimp, I am told) will intensify their colours against a darker substrate.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...