Yanagi

Corydora Eggs

I found some Cory eggs in my sorority tank this morning. Most had been eaten but after googling for some info I scraped off what I could find and placed the eggs in one of the hang on breeder nets with an air stone.

They could be peppered or bronze eggs, not sure. I'm hoping for peppered!

Anything else I need to do? Every other time I've just let them go and they've always been eaten by one fish or another, now I suppose I'll see if I can actually raise them! (Well I did have one peppered fry who mysteriously ended up in the 'wrong' tank and is now about 2cm long and going strong...)

How long do they take to hatch? I found mixed responses of 3 days to a week. What do the fry eat? Will they be ok in the breeder net? Sorry for all the questions, I haven't actually attempted to breed any fish yet but all my studies have been focused on Betta, not Corys! :drool:

im getting into cory breeding too.

Bred twice so far with me. First time i left all the eggs in the tank, poof they were all gone the next day. GRR to hungry fish. Second time i scraped them off, put them in a net tank inside the tank where there was good air/water movement. The eggs got blown into the corners of the net tank where there wasnt much movement, and went fuzzy. GRR

They should breed next week, from what ive seen them do the past month or so. And ive had the same problem, too much variation on the net when ive looked up for info.

Hope someone can help the both of us.

(i have albino corydoras, im buying a longfin bronze cory breeding trio tomorrow though yay)

I wasn't planning on getting into breeding them, but if they're going to spawn in my community tanks, they can go right ahead! I'll sell them and hopefully make some cash lol

Mine have bred quite a few times (I've got 2 tanks, one with bronze and albino and the other with bronze and peppered) but every time they've just been eaten. Well except for one mysterious little fry who I thought was peppered but is now seems to have some bronze markings as well (mutt? lol no idea, I'll wait until he gets bigger).

The eggs I have seem very sticky, they've stuck to the sides of the net and remained on a leaf of java fern. They've gone brown. :( Not fungusy (yet) so I'm just going to leave them be for now and hope and pray.. lol

Ohh, longfins! You must share pictures when you get them. :)

I have fry!!! :) I can only count about 5 but I'm sure there's plenty more as they're extremely hard to see against the netting. I've got some plants in there, hopefully they can graze on infusoria and crushed fish food. Should I buy some BBS or..? The information on the net is just so varied I don't really know what to be feeding them...

hopefully they'll be ok without it, but if your lfs sells live bbs then get a bag. can only be good :)

So exciting! :)

Well i picked up the new corys... they were such a bargain i HAD to buy the lot... $60 total....

4 sterbai

3 longfin bronze (photos to come, promise)

2 albino

1 false julii

2 peppered

1 dunno what type

All are big adults apart from the albinos and peppered, who are small adults/subadults.

:)

Bargain price huh? :)

WOW, who are you friends with to get them so cheap?! lol Nice finds!

I gave the fry some egg yolk today, ordering a MW culture and didn't manage to get to the aquarium today because "We went there yesterday!!! Too bad!". I watched some come up to the surface for air earlier, so cute! Most have taken to hiding under the plastic frame of the breeder net which is quite a pain because, well, I can't see them there.

lol, saw them online on a classifieds. When i saw the price per fish, it was so cheap, and thought i'd grab the lot lol

So cute! Hope they live :)

waits for pics of babies.. :)

I need to get a friend or two for my cory it's kinda lonely these days.

Nice, I'm jealous lol

Well.. :) One of my fish chewed a hole in the (very old) net I'm guessing because there were a series of holes along the corners and under the frame that weren't there before and almost all the fry were gone. Couldn't even find bodies, I'm guessing either way they got out and will be eaten if they haven't already. I saw both my bristlenose and clown loach at the net so I don't know who to blame but myself. Ugh.

I pulled the net out and into one of those little kritter keeper things, probably not even 3 liters and put the net in there, got a light and a magnifying glass.. I found three fry. Two look more than half dead and one was zooming around. I scooped them up as gently as I could and put them in the tiny tank, left the net in the tank and gave them some more egg yolk. Tiny tank is floating in the community tank still to keep it warmish.

Well, everyone usually kills their first babies anyway, right? lol.. :)

everyone usually kills their first babies anyway, right?

Only their fish, thankfully! :lol:

Only their fish, thankfully! :lol:

LOL! Thanks for the laugh, needed that..

One fry remains, just gave him some egg yolk dinner. He was swimming around earlier and the girls started attacking the side of the tank trying to gobble him up. :)

neffy, every single one died. From the heat *lol*

But i politely conned holly into lending me the breeding pair. They are the ones ive been breeding, with difficulty (my fault).

Will do a cold waterchange next week i think. Or maybe tomorrow? See how i go. Mums fat anyhow, fingers crossed :Drunk_Buddies2:

LOL @ baby killing comment :yes:

Jess I don't think the baby cory's survived being left on that table in the direct sunlight. Too bright & too hot.

most of them were dead, or funny, when taking them home. Owell.

Damn new albino's have died. Something is wrong. Do corys fight? They had blood spots over them, and two have died, and the sterbai four in there dont seem 100%

:D :(

Oh man. :( That sucks. I've always read that Cories were extremely peaceful. Could something else have attacked them? Some kind of infection?

I got my starter cultures today and fed a grindleworm or two to the one little fry. He looks to have gobbled them up. Had to top up the water in both my tanks with Cories today and both have a bronze that is looking absolutely full with eggs, so I'm hoping for a spawn or two overnight!

I'll have to get up early on a Saturday morning and check for eggs. Oh you spoiled fish, look at you make us do... :D lol

I cant work it out. The original two seemed fine, until i added the others. Now they seem to have bloody edges to fins, like fin rot but not rotting, just bits of blood. And spots of blood over them.

Put 1/2 dose mela and pima. They all became lethargic, so took 50%wc about 12hrs later. The worst, most lethargic two (my original pair) seem a little better now. The sterbai's are now sulky but dont appear too sick... fingers crossed.

I guess it'l be at least a month until they feel well enough to breed again. Owell, thats what happens with fishies.

Oh, i tried to research it, but the only idea the net could give me was an uncycled tank that causes ammonia?spikes to make the blood spots. But this tank has been running for a good 9mths, with fish breeding perfectly in it, even my pepps had bred in it last year. Maybe i overloaded it by adding 6 extra corys....

3ft standard tank. split in 1/2 by mesh only. 1 side, trio of adult lfabn. Breeding, so fry everywhere. other 1/2, was two corys, then i added 6 more. I thought that'd be fine, with 1-2 weekly 20-30% wc. *shrugs*

(sorry if ive hijacked :D )

That's the only thing I can think of too, an ammonia spike. I thought changing that much water that often in a cycled tank could cause the cycle to break? I don't even really change mine unless the water looks like it needs it.. Even then it's only about 10% worth.

No worries. But maybe you could post in the clinic anyway? Might get more attention.

Oh and no spawns this morning, how disappointing. Fish got grumbled at and I went back to bed... :D

i used to only do it once a wk, about 20%. But doing it more often when i added the six more.

Maybe i will go back to once a wk 20%. I dont think it will hurt. HOpe not.

Hope you get more spawns :) So cool :)

PICTURES!!!

CoryFry1.jpg

CoryFry2.jpg

Terrible, terrible quality. But I have proof he exists now!! LOL He's growing like a little weed, the second picture was taken just before he jumped on a grindal worm and gobbled it up.

He's about 3/4 of a centimeter big now, 9 days old. Pretty sure he's a Bronze based on the markings he's displaying.

Update, a huge spawn today. I'm guesstimating over 100 eggs. (My betta sorority pair spawned AGAIN today too, must be the weather!) They laid them in the worst possible places which made retrieving/rescuding them a total pain. Current baby was kicked out of the kritter keeper and graduated to my 18 inch tank, eggs are in the floating little tank with an air stone going great guns.

Based on what I've learned from the last spawn, the eggs should hatch in 3 days and babies get to about a centimeter long in 2 weeks.

I'm prepared this time, I hope. lol Starting an infusoria culture, starting a mozzie breeding ground for wrigglers and rafters, currently have a grindal worm culture, I killed my microworm culture though (epic fail) and picked up some BBS eggs today. :D

how are the cory bubs going? *lol*:)

so cool :)

(my cories have stopped dying, hooray, but no breeding again. Lost all the albinos, have three sterbai's left. Hope they breed.)