Jar water changes

Terribletegs

Hi all,

Just wanted to get a feel for how much y'all change water in your jars.

My jars are mostly 1L but I have some 850ml containers in there too. I am changing 50% - 70% of the water every 3-4 days. Too much/little?

The fish seem fine but I want to maximise growth and health without making too much work for myself...

I think it could depend on a few other things as well, how old the fish is, how often and what you feed, if you remove solid waste from the botttom (of the jar!), and what size your jar is. There's a big difference between 850ml and 2l!

While I defer to the more experienced, in bigger containers w adult fish that are only lightly fed, I'm sure slightly less frequent W/Cs are possible. Then again, unless for practical reasons of time management, why limit oneself to just what you can get away w? Unless you have hundreds of jars, it doesn't take long to do a 50% WC. That being said, I should be more diligent.

Re ammonia spikes, I don't think ammonia would have a chance to build up if the WCs were large and frequent consistently. As long as the water was aged, or even just dechlorinated, you wouldn't wipe out all the denitrifying bacteria on the walls of the container. I also wonder how much of a job these guys would be doing anyhow...

I do a 100% once a week for my 5 month old fry, but I suck up the solid waste during the week as well as any uneaten food and give them clean water top ups as their water evaporates in our lovely sub-tropical heat.

I'm terrible though, I don't use de-chlorinator any more and haven't done for over a year now and you know what? It seems strange but I've had less fishy deaths and illnesses since I stopped using it. I do, however, add sea salt to any water I add fish to so that could also be helping and they almost always get some IAL so that kind helps with dechlorination, or so I've heard.

I have 10 fry in 1L jars, another 5 in 800ml containers and another 9 in various barracks around my house...plus those still in the grow out.

I always remove solid wastes (most of them) and I scrub the bottom of the jars every second time or so. I leave the sides in the hopes of leaving some bacteria there... I have some duckweed and java moss in each jar but I don't think it's growing much, due to the low light in the jars.

I feed heavily, once a day, but never more than the fish will immediately consume, so there is never any uneaten food.

Edited by Terribletegs

Yeah......true Tegan, I feel so busted.....like I'm the pot calling the kettle black eh? :o (Don't think I've sampled the solids though, Eeeeuuuwwgh! :dontknow: ) Back to the subject at hand though, I give my 40,25 & 20 litre tanks around a 30%wc each week. My 8 litre tanks get 50% per week or 100% per fortnight. - Brad.

you all know my lax attitude towards WCs by now, and I've explained how/why in the past, ad nauseum, and you've all seen the robust fish I produce that way. Just wanted to post something at the other end of the spectrum, for a bit of balance and so people who aren't as devout as some when it comes to WCs don't feel bad, LOL!

Conceptually, I would support frequent WCs for juvenile bettas (provided that the new water is BETTER than the old water - which with some tap water you can't hope for, let alone guarantee...) - I just don't practice what I preach, and so far it hasn't bitten me.

I use 2L coke bottles, unfiltered. I replace 100% of the water daily or every second day.

I don't think I could drink that much coke haha

Maybe I could have a party and collect! My 21st isnt that far away :dontknow:

And just on another note, someone told me that if possible, it's better to leave fry in a grow out tank till their almost full size, at what size would you usually start jarring? Adult size, close to adult size?

Edited by bewarebrunette

Lyarlla - try a longer hose to syphon with!!!!

I'm with Lisa on the water changes - I find a decent clump of java moss really works wonders and water changes are not needed as often and have not had any fish worse for wear in a jar as a result. All are blowing bubbles happily and gutsing themselves on fd blackworms and other tasty things.

My only problems are geckos dropping in the jars (damned things have found a way inside and don't know how to get rid of them now) and having to fish them out!

Ummm..... can I make a suggestion to those people sucking on the hose to siphon out the water..fish and.... especially fish dander.......

Fill the hose with tap water, hold your finger/thumb over the end of the hose, then release your end of the hose... instant suction/siphon with no bad aftertaste!