What do you keep in your community tank with Betta?

Yanagi

In the time I've spent lurking on various Betta forums I've read a lot of conflicting information, many 'DO NOT's and the like.

I'm curious to know what you have successfully and unsuccessfully kept in a community tank, along side Betta.

Obviously this also depends on the personality of fish, availability of hiding places, et cetera, so what works for one person may not work for another but I'm hoping to see some trends arise here, that and a good discussion!

I have a 40lt with one CT male, 4 Corydora and 3 Cardinal Tetra (The reason for just 3 is a long and complicated story :blush: .)

I have a 75lt with one HM male, 4 Corydora and 10 White Cloud Minnows.

I've also gave my VT male to my father who after the death of our last remaining Silver Shark (old age) downsized from a hideous monstrosity of a 6ft to a beautiful 4ft display tank which now houses way too many Bristlenose (55!!!) about 10-15 Cardinal Tetra, 1 Clown Loach (we had more, they long ago died of old age, we're thinking of declaring this guy immortal as we believe he was the first and oldest of all), 4 Corydora, 4 Red Platys and 4 Red Swordtails.

Note, I'm aware his tank is over stocked, he is a very hard man to deal with and very set in his ways. I'm working on convincing him to sell at least half of the BN. It's a miracle he is now acknowledging that there is a problem.

The only slight problem I've ever had with any of these set ups is the VT has a thing with one of the Platys, he will flare at and chase it, but only one of them, none of the others. Aside from that, everyone gets along great.

I'd post photos but the USB cable for the new camera has mysterious disappeared. :D Feel free to share you own photos though. :)

I use to keep a feisty red VT male in with my community tank, he used to get along fine with the other fish, infact he told them where to go! After he went to little fishy heaven, I tried to put other males in the community tank, but I haven't found one who handles it as well as the reddie.

I do keep female bettas in my community tank from time to time, and usually there is no worry there. I've had tetras, BNs, angels, gouramis, - basically just tropical fish. I think if you're thinking about putting old mate a community tank, you can always put him in.. but stay there and watch him for about 15 mins or so, then go back whenever you can to check on him. ss

There are to many factors to take in consideration, and really each fish is different to the last.

Depends on the flow, how long the betta's fins are, which other fish are in the tank, will he get to feed easy enough etc ? Currently I have a female betta in my community tank, compared to the last one who use to jump at my hand food, this one hides in the corner so i make sure to give her food. She is kept with corys, BNs, Gouramis, honey dwarf gouramis, skeleton catfish, tetras etc.

goodluck with your dad! lol

• 1 month later...

Have 3 x community tanks, all have a male Betta who cohabitates just fine & dandy with albino corys, platys, mollys & neon tetras. On more than one occasion I've actually found a cory sleeping within the flowing tail folds of a HM Betta boy & they hung out together. Since I removed his tank mates he's all but eaten his tail.

I have a sorority tank with 6 females, 10 Neon Tetras and 20 Leopard Cories (I know. Overstocked, but I'm planning on moving these cories soon anyway) and they get along pretty much fine. The smallest female chases the others occasionally and nips them if she gets close enough but it usually peaceful...

I also have a community tank with 1 male VT boy with MASSIVE finnage, 10 Neon Tetras, 10 Cories of various types (Habrosus, Albino and Panda), 3 baby BN and 6 Harlequin Rasboras (I'm thinking of removing... They just annoy me...) Yes it's a tad overstocked but they seem to get along fine with the hiding spots and such.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...