Chuckie

Betta Breeding and Phases of the Moon - for real?

A pair of my black marbles are spawning today - also waxing crescent 11% of full. I only introduced the female last night and released her this morning.

GROWL!!! He ate the eggs! This morning I checked and he had eaten the whole lot, the rotter!!!

bugger!

Mine has larvae falling from the nest. Not tails as such yet. But they wiggle.

yep! That's my story and I am sticking to it :D

You know, the stage where they're just emerging from the egg but still kind of curled up in it?

Anyway, there are tails this morning :D

I've tried a few spawns on full moon with no success, just didn't happen or eggs were not fertilised (with a giant plakat which I suspect is infertile- 4 insuccessful tries. My most successfull spawns happened, strange, few days after full moon!

Mihaela

I've looked hard and can't find a specific term for a late stage pre-hatch fish. Late embryo or early Alevin / Larva will have to do.

I just had another spawn... the moon is 100% full right now.

I am starting to think there is a lot of truth to this moon phase thing! :dance:

well this week I've had two spawns with the new moon :)

one unfortunately dad ate the newborns - bad fishy daddy!! UGH!... he's currently sulking as if I'd removed him from the spawn tank... silly fish!!!

other set are actually currently still spawning (Black Dragon Pk's - WOOT) fingers crossed for a better daddy with this lot :D (and lots of black baby fishies!)

Hi

Ages ago I read a discussion about whether Betta breeding / bubble nest building is affected by the phase of the moon, in the same way that the breeding cycles of many creatures are affected by the moon. e.g. Bettas breed more readily at the new moon, or some such thing.

But I can't recall the conclusion! Does anyone here know whether this is true, and if so, which moon phase is optimal for attempting a pairing?

Finley

ditto. I had a pair wrapping on the 3rd day of the latest full moon, unfortunately they are both young and didn't manage to produce any eggs lol. I'll condition them more and give them another shot next full moon

Although I'm not technically breeding at the moment...(I have stupid fish that eat eggs, and, I'm out of town for next six months so can't look after a spawn if successful), I have noticed that it's easier to get a spawn going with the full moon. I was home last weekend of Jan (full moon), and decided to give it a go for fun. The pair (previously paired) were in adjacent barracks (uncarded) for about 2 weeks. I plonked them in the spawning tank late on friday night without a hurricane jar/equivalent. Kept the light on overnight, and by mid morning the fish had spawned. Easiest and quickest spawn ever! Also raining outside Saturday am. The pair ate well that day... This boy has had a fairly rich caviar diet over a couple months!!!

I haven't spawned bettas for a little while - got a few plans though.

But ... this phase of the moon thing - does it count for New Moon (which is on Sunday)? Just discovered I have my first batch of long finned albino brisltenose eggs today plus a new cloud of Red Forest Jewels as well and my scarlet kribensis have taken up house inside a flower pot and won't come out! I also have a pair of Firemouth cichlids dancing round each other for the first time since I've owned them (so fingers crossed there as well).

At full moon though I have some nice clear finned cambodian (CT gene) females I am going to try with a couple of my CT males and see if I can make some blue cambodians and whatever else might eventuate - only 2 more weeks to wait till next full moon on 1 March....

LOL! I was shocked to see this thread had sprung up to nine pages, I thought I must have missed a hot debate. This will be easier later, thanks Lisa!

I think the moon has an influence on breeding. It's not the only factor, and they can breed without it, but it does seem to help if the attempt is made in the days leading up to full moon or new moon.

Cassie, when does your nutty female drop her eggs, is there a luna connection?