splendidbetta

Royal Blue female SD

Hi all :D

If someone could please take the time to critique this female from my current spawn, I would be grateful :D

She can spread about 5 degrees more on either side of her caudal fin than what is pictured in the first 2 pics, I just couldnt show that in the photos, because she moves to fast :lol:

She is fully colored but has hardly any masking. I dont want critique on color here, only body shape and finnage. I took the photo without flash, so the coor didnt show up.

she is atm 2 ray, but is becoming 4 ray.

Please keep in mind that she is still only 10 weeks old and has a lot of growing and developing to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

this photo is to show bodyshape :lol:

Posted Image

Is her spine bent? It seems that way in the photos. Nice oblong anal fin. Hard to assess the tail. Her dorsal is a little narrow for my taste. I'd like to see her when her branching has finished development.

Hi Stefan, The problem is that a lot of 10 week old fry look the same as any other 10 week old fry. It makes it even harder when you are trying to look at form with girls. Boys can start to show what they have at an early age, but girls can take awhile before you can tell the great from the good. Give her a little more time and then put her pic up again. We might be able to help a little more with a bit more age on her. Najina

Is her spine bent?  It seems that way in the photos.

Nice oblong anal fin.  Hard to assess the tail.  Her dorsal is a little narrow for my taste.  I'd like to see her when her branching has finished development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

by spine do you mean that dark part in the center of her body towards the begining of the caudal fin? In one of the photos it does look a bit bent, but i dont think it is in real life. i will have to check at home...

I know she is young, but I wanted to see how she would score with you guys at this stage :lol:

do you think she has potential? :scared:

I'm sorry Stefan, but I had to laugh. i do know a bit about basic anatomy - by spine I meant spine. Her back is arched, or looks like it is.

I'm sorry Stefan, but I had to laugh.  i do know a bit about basic anatomy - by spine I meant spine.  Her back is arched, or looks like it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

well, her back in real life looks smoothly curved, which i prefer much more than a fish with angles jutting out all over the place :scared: her actual spine is straight, the spine runs through the center of the fish... so you think it is much to arched? is it just in the first photo? in the first photo she is facing away from the camera, so that may be why she looks too curved...

really, I dont see any problem with her back, but my highly paranoid fish-brain seems to be making her look like her back is distorted like what i discribed in that thread of my spawn in the laboratory.... when the photos show she is perfectly smooth :lol: i have to stop being so obsessively paranoid... in fact, i think if you asked me what my other obsession is (apart from bettas) it would be being paranoid about my bettas :blink:;)

anywho :lol:

thanks Lisa :lol:

hi Stefan As has been said, i think she is too young. It is impossible to know the potential at this age when she isnt properly developed. From how she is currently, i am liking the shapes of the fins, although branching is currently poor in the caudal. I would take a guess and say that she is a pk female, which accounts for the short, broad dorsal fin and the neat short anal fin, i do wonder that if it is the pk gene in her, perhaps the anal fin is hard to say weather it is really good (compared to a longfin female) or a bad one (for longfin genes) since it is discised as a pk anal fin. Only time will tell and since she is your breeder for the future, it will be interesting to see :scared:

ok, I appreciate all the comments you guys have made :yes:;)

every few weeks i will post a photo or 2 of this female, if she changes and develops more. i have read articles about the development of a hm, so lets see if this can be development of a female hm :blush:

Phil, you are starting to make me think that she is a pk female :eadshake: that would be interesting :fish:

tell me, shouldnt people be concentrating on using female longfinned HMs with short and rounded anal fins, instead of long pointed anals? this may well improve the problem hms have with long analfins....

hopefully she will be my future breeder, but considering that the of rest of the spawn, only 18 are worth keeping at all...i am seriously thinking of discontinuing this line and getting some serious top quality stock to start off with...

I like her finnage and body shape and coloration, but as you guys said, only time will tell, and it will be interesting to see what the final result is :dontknow:

do you think i should jar her and card her and see if her caudal spread improves?

thanks all http://ausaqua.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif :fun:

shouldnt people be concentrating on using female longfinned HMs with short and rounded anal fins, instead of long pointed anals?

Yes, and they are. See, eg, my breeder profile :eadshake:. Not rounded though - oblong. Or trapezoid.

oh, yeah, i meant short and oblong, but comepared to femaleas with long pointed anal fins, the oblong anal fins are rounded... so whats wrong with the anal fin my female has? not oblong enough? :eadshake: for longfin standards?

err, nothing?  I said I liked her anal fin!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry :drool: You liked her anal, but Phil said this:

"I would take a guess and say that she is a pk female, which accounts for the short, broad dorsal fin and the neat short anal fin, i do wonder that if it is the pk gene in her, perhaps the anal fin is hard to say weather it is really good (compared to a longfin female) or a bad one (for longfin genes) since it is discised as a pk anal fin."

so is her anal at this stage good or bad for long fin standards at this stage? :eadshake: :o

i think its a good shaped anal fin for a pk female or a longfin fish. I just think she is sitll to young to juge as it could just sprout. I had one female with a perfect anal fin for a long while, now it has sprouted really long and she looks all out of whack. :eadshake: