Sign in to follow this  
Marvin131976

Aggressive HMPK

Hi all

I have a beautiful HMPK that I want to do an F1 with, however he is very aggressive. I have tried him with 2 different females and he has been relentless in his attacks on them.

Both are okay and seem to be recovering well however I am reluctant to risk the females lives without some suggestions.

Attempt 1

Male acclimatised in tank (1 foot, 4 inches water, plant pot, IAL, java moss) for 2 days before female introduced in separate container. He charged the container a number of times before retreating to the corner. He built a massive bubble nest overnight. I released the female later the next day, he went on the immediate attack. She ended up hiding under the IAL with shredded fins and red marks behind head. I removed her to a recovery tank and put him back in the stables while I broke the tank down.

Attempt 2

Rebuilt tank, with a couple more hiding spots, introduced female in container, then introduced the male. He immediately charged the container before again retreating to a corner and building a nest. I left them for 2 days when he was making luring approaches to the container I let her out and he immediately attacked her. I left her for about 12 hours as she found a pretty good hiding spot behind the heater that he couldn't get to. She never came out again. I have successfully used this female in a mating with another male.

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions of methods that may make him more receptive to a female?

Try a mirror, he may stop being a tool if he thinks he has male competition. He may also blow off some of his aggression by attacking the mirror.

Good luck!

I agree with the mirror idea, and you might also try putting her next to the spawn tank, in her tank, and carding her. Un-card for 30 mins a few times a day for about a week and he should become more accustomed to seeing her and not go so crazy. I think I read that somewhere on a betta breeding site. It also works for reluctant and scared females

Check this forum out for others who've had similar probs. Additional suggestions include: waiting for rainy weather, full moon, and a really hearty feeding before release.I've noticed my females have always been more receptive after a good feed (though this doesn't mean the male will be less aggressive). Charlie had similar problems and posted here.

Thanks guys, I missed charlie's post, some helpful info there.

I haven't tried the full moon theory with this boy (moon doesn't seem to bother my others), so think I will try that and a mirror. Perhaps also letting him get used to seeing the female for longer.

Is a new moon on Valentine's Day a good omen?? Think I will have to wait until start of March though for full conditioning.

Cheers

I wouldn't worry about conditioning, personally. I know people who have had fantastic success spawning bettas within days of arrival from interstate quarantine, etc. I usually just spawn them when I want to spawn them, and assume they have the fortitude to deliver (and they do) :blush:

I am the same as Lilli, i think if you typically have well cared for betta and feed them quality foods then they are as well-conditioned as they need to be for spawning.

The male is in perfect condition however both of the females are still showing battle scars. I have other females, but these are the only 2 that complement the male - I don't want to breed for the sake of breeding as I'm hoping to strengthen his colour and pattern.

Im thinking of putting him into the breeding tank with a couple of other females, and a mirror, to get him used to being around other fish. He has been pretty much isolated since he showed aggression in the grow out tank. I took him to work with me because I love his colour, pattern, and spunk.

Sign in to follow this