Hybrids

Keeping species pure is pretty important I think but then most guppies, bettas and a lot of other fish are 'hybridised' to obtain new strains that breed true so I'm not sure I can say no totally to hybrids. For me - I don't really like the idea of hybrids of cichlids or other fish that have not been 'mixed up' already - not sure if there is a forum rule on offering such hybrids though. Some other forums ban the offering of 'mutts' as opposed to existing hybrids I think. This is one for the forum admins to decide (or not decide).

I agree, especially with regards to bettas. We wouldn't have dragon's if they weren't hybrids. Ok so they've been bred to other fish within the same species kind of but breeding a betta splenden to another betta splenden didn't get us dragons. Breeding Betta splendens with Betta sp. mahachai, Betta imbellis and Betta smaragdina to breed in the metallic scaling brought us dragons.

So all dragon bettas can boast genetic ties to Betta smaragdina, imbellis and sp. mahachai therefore are not pure betta splendens but hybrids. i for one am glad of these hybrids because dragon's are by far my favourite colouring in bettas.